what corys should not be kept together

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I don't get the idea that is as much an issue with corries as it is with some fish. Some creek collection sites will have half a dozen corydoras species all swimming together. So they have some selection ability or that situation couldn't exist. If there was a risk of crossing, the conventional wisdom is that no fish from the same genus should be kept together, and since Corydoras is the genus name that covers all of them, the answer would be none can be kept together.

I don't know that it would be an issue, but you could monitor yours and not raise any of the offspring if you do get any cross species loving.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I think corys would rather breed with their own kind, but not too sure about that.
2) If they do "cross breed" the offspring would probably be sterol.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
It's not a simple topic. In general, corydoras don't seem to cross breed much, but there have been reports of it. Since there are so many different types of corydoras, it's hard to give you a list of corydoras that won't produce hybrids. There have been some threads on this at the forums at www.planetcatfish.com, if you want to do some research.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Actually cory's do cross breed in aquariums quite easily. They don't do it in the wild because they have different mechanisms that prevent it (i.e. different strategies, different times of year that each species spawns, etc...). These same factors often don't come into play in aquariums so hybridization does happen. Most of the Aspidoras sp. in the U.S. are likely hybrids. Nearly all of the aeneus in the hobby are hybrids of aeneus and melanotaenia.

As a general rule you can keep a long snouted cory and a short snouted cory together without any worries of hybridization. But keeping two of the same body type together increases the risk of hybridization.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
From what I have been told it is that the difference in body shape is really unattractive to the opposite shaped cory so they don't mate with each other. One of the local guys in my aquarium club is a real cory nut (he maintains 80 species and has bred dozens of them) and this is what he told me.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Whelp.. so much for you poor guys with over-sized snouts.

Last edited:

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Actually cory's do cross breed in aquariums quite easily. They don't do it in the wild because they have different mechanisms that prevent it (i.e. different strategies, different times of year that each species spawns, etc...). These same factors often don't come into play in aquariums so hybridization does happen. Most of the Aspidoras sp. in the U.S. are likely hybrids. Nearly all of the aeneus in the hobby are hybrids of aeneus and melanotaenia.

As a general rule you can keep a long snouted cory and a short snouted cory together without any worries of hybridization. But keeping two of the same body type together increases the risk of hybridization.
Andy, what do you base this on? Not arguing; I'm genuinely curious. I haven't seen many reports of hybrids on the web, so I'm guessing that you're reporting this based on what you've learned by word of mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store