Critters to go through the sand while carpeting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JohnFromWrok

Registered Member
Mar 15, 2015
CT
Hi everyone, this is my first real post!

I am trying to carpet Dwarf Hairgrass (started a week ago) and my trouble is eventually going to be shuffling the sand to prevent toxic buildup. I usually do this by hand but I won't be able to if I carpet successfully. Anyways just trying to get a critter in there in advance so I can leave my sand alone while growing my grass. I read about Malaysian Trumpet Snails but I want to know what are other good options.

Listed my tank specs below. Please feel free to add suggestions/comments/criticisms!

35 gallon Freshwater tank
3 Blue Gouramis, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, and 3 Cory Catfish.
Planted Java Fern attached to driftwood and trying to carpet Dwarf Hairgrass.
2 inch deep sandbed
USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light.
200 Gallon Aquarium Canister Filter UV 9w UV Sterilizer Fish Tank SUNSUN HW-304B
Fluval Aquaclear 50 Power Filter

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
I don't know my aquatic animals well enough to suggest a creature, but if worse comes to worst, think you could poke at it with a chopstick or knitting needle?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If your sand bed is only 2", I wouldn't worry about toxic build-up. The deeper, the more chance of it going anaerobic.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If the plants are healthy and growing the roots create pores in the substrate. These pores prevent the build up of nasties. I'm going on 4 years with a sand capped with gravel substate. No stirring of the substrate at all.

You actually don't want anything disturbing the roots. Any disturbance of the roots causes damage to the fine root hairs. This damage can cause the plant to go I to a wound response and stop its growth as it first heals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store