Substrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I'd love to hear from all of the planted tank experts on this. There are a number of substrates out there that say they are great for plants. Some require rinsing , some do not. Some, supposedly, will not cloud the water, and some will. One person said that the Eco Complete smelled terrible for days. Someone mentioned that some are easier to plant in than others.
My question is, which one do you like the best and why.
I look forward to your replies.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not an expert, but I've had great luck with low/medium light setups and nothing more than ordinary gravel. I have lots of water column feeding plants and some rooted. I have used FloraMax and had no better grow rate with that than gravel. I dose liquid ferts occasionally and occasional root tabs (very rarely).

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I like eco completes color, grain size and decent CEC. Never noticed a smell.

But it's expensive, particularly if you don't have a local source.

Regular gravel or silica sand is cheap and can be enough fir a lot of plants.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
I like sand. the kind for making concrete as it also has gravel mixed it. it doesn't to anything to my pH
easy to plant in
fish seems to like it

but i did make mistake and used really fine sand at first, it looked nice but it would never settle

plants are growing fine in it w/o root tabs.
easy plants, fern, anacharis, cabamba, vals, jenny, etc

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
A friend who has 15 years in underwater plant-keeping sticks to sand, and I would too if I hadn't put in Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil in the past year. My plants started growing much faster, so I thought, "Why don't I fertilize something less than Estimated Index?"

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
the point is you are going to get as many opinions on substrates as there are substrates, everyone liking their choice for their specific reason

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Well I ended up choosing Eco Complete. I will let you know how it goes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store