Cherry Barbs Had a Baby!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I couldn't believe it today when I was adding some plants, I saw a baby Cherry Barb. Is that a common occurrence or does it happen often? I was so pleased.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah, as long as there is cover for the fry to hide in cherry barbs often do increase in numbers that way. The numbers usually aren't high but a few make it.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
That's great! My checker barbs did the same thing. I actually found the fry later in a different tank I had moved a bunch of java fern into. The eggs must have been in the plants. They grew up and now I have more checker barbs!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Surprise fry are always great! Congrats! A sponge cover on your filter intake & lots of plants really help survival rates. I have lemon tetras from a friend that are on their 3rd generation from his tank so I'm hopeful & 3 sewellia fry (from F1 hillstream loaches) that miraculously lived! Plants can supply hiding areas & foods for tiny fish, cichlids are smart & a few almost always survived.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store