Using reptile heating pads on SUPER Nano Aquariums ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
As you can infer from the title, I am wondering, could I use a reptile heating pad (externally of course, likely on the back of the aquarium) to heat a super small nano aquarium? All that will be in it are plants and maybe just a couple invertebrates.

The aquarium is li
ke around 1.3 gallons so you can imagine why I don't want even a small heater in there (it wont look nice). I don't have any experience with those heating pads for reptiles so I wanted to hear your thoughts on the idea.

Thanks

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I think you'll end up with an over-heated tank. Reptile pads are designed to heat up an area under dry substrate on which the occupant can bask and then get away from when it begins to get too warm. They're not typically thermostatically controlled to turn on and off around a set point temperature. When heating water, which conducts the heat throughout the tank, they will get the water too hot and keep it that way.

Mark

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
They're not typically thermostatically controlled to turn on and off around a set point temperature. When heating water, which conducts the heat throughout the tank, they will get the water too hot and keep it that way.

Mark
Darn your right. Well ... I just did some digging and there are thermostat kill switches for heating pads but they are like 30 + dollars. I guess I will find a way to throw a small heater in my DIY nano canister filter that I will make.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
What exactly will be in there and what's your normal ambient room temp like? You may not need to heat it at all.
Hmm good point, I was looking to plant dwarf baby tears and or dwarf hairgrass, but I am also considering Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans) and some mosses. And we are looking at ambient room temps anywhere from 65-75ish depending on time of year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store