Cycle Not Progressing for Two Months

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've been absent from the aquarium hobby for a good eighteen months now, and I thought it was time I started up a new ten gallon tank for a betta fish and perhaps some RCS. Well, it seems I've forgotten how to properly cycle a tank, because I've been going at it for over two months now, and the cycle hasn't progressed since the nitrites spiked. I've been dosing ammonia and testing, but nothing is moving.

Now, I've really been neglecting testing the tank because of my frustration, and it sometimes goes up to a week at a time without getting checked, but I do continue to dose ammonia, and whenever I check nothing's moved. Could that be apart of the problem? I kinda doubt it, though. Last I checked, which was earlier today, these were the results:

Ammonia: 4 ppm (haven't dosed in several days)
Nitrites: 5 ppm
Nitrates: 80 ppm
pH: 7.2

If anybody could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Assuming you're using an API master test kit, if the nitrite test instantly flashes to a purple, then fades to blue over the 5min wait time, your nitrites are higher than the kit can read. The reason I mention this is this has happened to me on both fishless cycles I've done using ammonia. Over-range high nitrites can completely stall your cycle. I had to do several large water changes to bring nitrites to a readable level, then the cycle progressed pretty much instantly.

FWIW, this was on a 29g and 10g that I was doing an ammonia fishless cycle on at the same time.

I would do a water change or three and not get your ammonia higher than ~2ppm.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Well, that explains a lot. I knew the nitrites were sky rocketing, but I guess I forgot it can stall a cycle during my vacation. I'll get to water changes this weekend. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Yeah I've noticed the same thing when nitrite spikes too much. I'd definitely stop adding ammonia until that bottoms out, but a small water change may help.

When you think about it, any excess ammonia/nitrite means your bacteria colony cannot process it currently and will "work" to get to that point...so not much is really needed to keep your cycle progressing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store