Fishless Cycling Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I am planning to use the fishless cycling method in my new tank. I watched Dr. Tim's video on youtube, and it seems very straight forward, but there is one thing I am not sure about. He says to remove the "filter socks" while cycling. Does that mean take all the filtering material out of your filter? I would think you would want to leave in the biological filter material. Does he mean just remove the mechanical filter material?
Also, how did this method work for those of you who have used it?
Thanks for your help.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not sure what he means by "filter socks". You definitely want to leave your mechanical and biological filtration media in place through the process.

I did fishless cycles by adding household ammonia on two tanks simultaneously. A 29g and a 10g. For me it was a long and frustrating process. It works without a doubt, but I would recommend starting up a tank with seeded media if possible, over going through the whole 'fishless' process.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I was thinking the same thing when I read about using a seeded sponge filter from an established tank for my QT. I thought , why not use this same method for anytime you are setting up a new tank. If you already have a tank that you can use for this purpose, (established bacteria) is there any reason not to go that route?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
...If you already have a tank that you can use for this purpose, (established bacteria) is there any reason not to go that route?
Going this route allows you to setup and stock a new tank instantly. It's the best and easiest way to go. You do however still need to watch your water parameters closely for the first few days just to make sure the tank produces nothing but nitrates.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Filter socks are a form of mechanical filtration usually found in sumps or wet/dry filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store