Aquarium Backing Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I got my new tank home today and bought the plain black/blue background and a product called SeaView, which I believe is a silicone gel that is supposed to be used to adhere the background to the tank. Well, it adheres all right; the problem is trying to get rid of the millions of bubbles that form between the glass and the backing. I tried all the prescribed methods to get rid of them. I used a credit card, a ruler and a squeegee. Nothing worked. I don't like the look that is achieved just taping the backing on to the tank. My husband suggested frosted window film that you can buy at Home Depot. Has anyone tried that? If not , I would welcome any suggestions on the easiest way to do backing. Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't go without a backing. The tank will just be backed up to a kind of coffee colored wall, which I think would look nice with the dark substrate and plants, but I have read that fish are not comfortable without backing. I think the wall would act as backing. There will be no movement behind the tank; just the wall. I personally think it would look nice, but don't want to stress my fish.
thanks for your thoughts on this.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ugh... I had the same *fun* with the oil-on background I attempted on my 75g. I never got all the bubbles out, then a huge crease formed straight up the center once the tank was filled and setup. I still have it on there, but it looks like poop and I'd never do one of these again. I'd use a black trash bag cut to fit and tape it on, or just paint the back of the tank black if you don't like the store bought backgrounds. I've also used blue cellophane wrapping paper and foil (taped on). That looked good too.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I have read about painting the backs on the forum someplace. I am likely to try painting the back of one of my tanks next time I move one. It looks very clean and it seems very simple to do.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Give my video on how to paint tha back of your tank a watch!

[video=youtube;vrYobMIZk28]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYobMIZk28[/video]

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
use a squeegee???

when applying films like this you need to wet the glass and use a squeegee..the same will happen if you purchanse any film you plant to adhere to the glass.
when using sqeegee work from the center out...

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Thanks for the video link. Seeing it once is worth so much more than forum instructions.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I tried a squeegee, stiff brush, credit card, big plastic putty knife, etc.. I think the main thing I fought, was I should have let the plastic background for my 75g relax for a few days. It was tightly coiled from the LFS and kept re-coiling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store