water level with an overflow tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
for a while i had the tank running, but small leaks on the supply side threaded fittings has it drained now.

when it was filled and running, i noticed the water level in the display tank never makes it bottom edge of the top trim. the overflow teeth are lower than the tank trim. is that normal in an overflow tank?

thanks

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
wondering if there is a way i can get the water deep enough so i don't see the topline of it through the glass.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
its glued. i guess i will try to make a "****" of sorts to cover the bottom of the overflow slots, which will make the water rise higher before getting into chamber, not sure how yet.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
There are two ways to raise the water level in the display tank:
1. Increase the water flow into the aquarium
2. Restrict the outlet through the teeth. You can block up the teeth with a little bit of epoxy putty and that will raise the water level.

Another option is simply to hide the waterline by putting a piece of black electrical tape on the glass to cover it up.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
thanks, i'm going to attempt to block teeth

there is a mag 12 pump in here, and full on, water level went up a bit, but the noise of rushing water was a bit much!

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i am going to trim to shim with some plexiglass i think.

but as i think about it, the "shim" needs to be sturdy as if it were to let loose, it would overflow my sump

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Sorry, I was under the impression it was a reef ready tank with a built in overflow box. If it's just a hang on overflow box you can simply raise the box by inserting strips of acrylic or plastic between the box and the aquarium frame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store