GloFish Setup - Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I have an empty 10 gallon aquarium that I am planning to set up in my kids' room. Took them to a shop the other day and they like the GloFish. I have a black sand substrate, filtration, heater, etc. Kids picked out a little submarine decoration as well. I might pick up some fake plants to pop with the fish (have an assortment of live plants now so maybe not). However, I need advice on a good light. I know they sell the all-blue GloFish branded lights. Are those any good? Any suggestions on something else? Note: I have a glass top.

Thanks!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
The neon lights tht u pay for can actually go inside the water I don't think a light bulb can go in the water lol : this is my fluval chi with the neon glow it looks really foggy cause I'm currently converting it to saltwater but I use to have neon tetras in these it looked amazing:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427220644.742592.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would price out something from AquaTraders or on eBay before paying a lot of money for a standard Marineland LED strip light.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I wouldn't actually buy it from Petsmart, but just wondered if the light would be a good option or if anyone had a similar setup. I'll probably get one, or something like it, on order soon.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I wouldn't actually buy it from Petsmart, but just wondered if the light would be a good option or if anyone had a similar setup. I'll probably get one, or something like it, on order soon.
Those led bars with daylight / blue moonlight are absolutely beautiful. Not sure about the Marineland version, since I got the Fluval kind. If all you are doing is use it for the blue moonlight, then it is a gigantic waste of money and overkill. In the fluval light I have for every 19 rows of white leds 1 row of blue leds. While the daylight (white and blue on) positively blinds you when looking at it, the moonlight (only blue led) is nothing more than a nightlight too dark to read by. Also not sure if there is enough UV light in the spectrum for your glowfish. If you get a strip for planted tanks or marine tanks you are talking even more money.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Not to go off topic, but glofish need a bigger tank than a 10 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store