Bolivian Ram question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Hi everyone, I have three bloivian rams and they all seem to nip and chase each other. I have two females and one male. The male has paired up with both females so I thought everything was fine. I should add that the tank is 29gal and planted. What do you think causes this and is there any way to fix it? Note that this has only recently started to happen that's why I'm at a loss right now. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
technically Bolivian rams are not harem breeders.. this this can occur.. you are witnessing normal behavior..

you should have some structure in the tank to allow for 'natural' divides.. generally when a pair forms in a 29 it's pretty much only that pair will occupy the territory.
I use driftwood structure in my tanks to allow for 'hiding' spots. something that will break line of sight.

I find sexing bolivian rams very difficult as they don't tend to exhibit sexual dimorphism like other dwarf cichlids.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Yes I do have driftwood in the tank as well. They do seem to find spots to hide. The only thing that is crazy is they will all hang out together for a while then they will go crazy on each other. I also had a hard time sexing them until I saw the females laying eggs. Thank you for letting me know this was normal, but I may end up finding one of the rams a new home so that it will hopefully be a bit more peaceful for all of them.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
IMAG0212.jpgIMAG0214.jpg
well, this would be why they were acting up. came home last night and got a surprise.
any tips on hot to get food to them if they don't get eaten?
not the best pix my cam is messed up.

IMAG0212.jpg IMAG0214.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
best is BBS(baby brine shrimp)

I've had luck with other fry foods..Kens sells some that has worked well for me.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can find frozen BBS Hikari has them
I've tried first bites but find the fry prefer BBS or rotifers to the dry/powdered foods.. you can acclimate them to dry foods by mixing the frozen bbs with some dry food(finely crushed flakes will work as well but you will need to powder the food.)

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Thank you for all of the input so far! I tried to let the parents do the work but overnight on day 5 all but 4 went missing. I ended up putting them in a breeder net so save a few. And to my surprise the male spawned with the other female and I have eggs again. tomorrow will be day three so they should be starting to hatch and I get to start all over lol.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Okay never mind, I guess today is day three and I have wigglers lol. they have continued to shock and surprise me in the last few weeks! time to get the sponge on the filter again! ha .... Anyone need a Bolivian Ram, I have plenty to share lol!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store