Help me save my neighbors Beta's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Hello again.

I am taking care of my friend's dog while she's in the hospital having a baby. I noticed that her Betas (one male, one female) are in their filthy little vases that are all green with algea. They are hardly moving at all. She used to change the water regularly, but I guess the pregnancy has distracted her.

The plan is to get them a 5 gal tank, with divider and a filter. I can steal some filter media from my established tanks to help with cycling. Do you think fresh water will shock them to death? I want to help them, not kill them... I would like this to be up and running before she gets home.

Thanks,

katz

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I think if you acclimate them to the good water slowly, it should be fine. Take out a bit of bad water from their vases at a time and replace it, until most of the water is replaced. What would be helpful would be to buy a new turkey baster for this. I would take/replace one basterful every 15-20 minutes. Make sure the new water is close in temperature.

Celura

Crazy Betta Lady
Jan 16, 2004
Austin, TX
www.celura.net
That would be very nice of you to do. :)

Betta's don't need a cycled tank. You can pick up a couple of bowls that will do just fine. You could also get a couple of 2.5g tanks at PetSmart for $9.99 each, and they come with a lid or a screen. I have Alex in one and that's lots of space. I also have a divided tank I get a special price on from the manufacturer at my Betta site, if you're interested. I keep Armand in that.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sounds like good advice. It isn't the fresh water per se that could hurt them but the fact that the pH and hardness have probably gone very low over time. A sudden shift in pH could be deadly.

Anything 1 gallon or bigger will be a great help. 2 gallon or bigger is much better. (per fish of course).

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I think a stop at the pet store is in order... I love her, but she has no right to treat them that way. If she didn't want to take care of them, she shouldn't have gotten them.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it goes.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I might be wrong but I'm thinking even though you have the best intentions and it's definitely what's best for the betta, I don't know if your friend will be appreciative though..... some might take offense to it even though you have the best intentions at heart. I don't know.... don't flame me for it, just throwing the idea out there....

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
Personally I wouldnt give a good GD about how the neighbour would react. I would be concerned about the fishies. Im sure she doesnt want them to die anyway. And pregnancy can take a lot out of a person, so do what you can for her and the fish.

I think kveeti had a good idea with the turkey baster or just do the usual acclimation procedure over a longer period of time.

Good luck with them. Bettas are tough little fish so I bet they will be soon be swimming around in their new homes. Hope new mom is appreciative of your investment of time and money into her fish.

LGooley

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
Florida
Visit site
I think its all about the presentation. Maybe put a bow on top and a little card from the Betta's welcoming the new baby to the home. Tell the new mom that they were sooooo good you bought them a gift so they wouldn't get jealous of the new baby. Yeah I know... sappy & corny...I am overtired. Good luck

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I like the idea of the card... I know my neighbor likes the fish, and wants them to be well. She's coming home with the baby tonight, so right after work I'll move the bettas.

I don't think she would be offended. I have cleaned her apartment for her before, just because she gets so behind. She didn't mind that either :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store