Planted Aquarium Newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cinnamonbunn

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2015
Hi guys/gals,

I'm not new to fishkeeping (so my procedures I use are what I grew up with) but I have to admit there is a lot I need to learn, especially in planted tanks. So I setted up my 12 gal tank (L= 50cm H= 32cm W=30cm) my light is 11w compact twin fluorescent bulb warm white color, with also an 11w ballast in the hood that comes with the tank that my dad bought at year 2002, I'm not familiar with water test kits, I usually stock up at the 3rd week. put in 5 different plants, and 6 neon tetras (took them a day to start swimming at the top and that's when I started feeding them) my question is, it's 3 days ago since I placed the fishes and plants, I see brown spots on my amazon swordplant but my other plants seem clean could it be my lighting? I'm not really familiar with fertilizers and CO2 but I'll be willing to learn.

I live in a tropical country 27c-32c temp, I turn on my light from 6am to 7pm, reason for me doing the was because I think my 11w isn't enough to provide optimum growth, if this is wrong please correct me.

Additional info, my substrate is from a river 10 min walk from my home (I live in the country side) small rocks at the top with finer sands at the bottom.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) Would be nice to know what kind of plants you have (besides the Sword plant). .
2) 11watts is a little low for any plants, but....see #1
3) 13 hours of light is way too long. It does not matter what kind of light, or how strong the light is. Go for about 8-10 hours.
4) Brown alage should go away by itslef. Common in new tanks. PS--Snails will eat it.

PS--Wow, your temp is very high.

Cinnamonbunn

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2015
1) Would be nice to know what kind of plants you have (besides the Sword plant). .
2) 11watts is a little low for any plants, but....see #1
3) 13 hours of light is way too long. It does not matter what kind of light, or how strong the light is. Go for about 8-10 hours.
4) Brown alage should go away by itslef. Common in new tanks. PS--Snails will eat it.

PS--Wow, your temp is very high.
Hi thanks for replying, I don't want to end up identifying my plants wrong so I took pictures of them.

2) I can try to make a new circuit and removing the light and ballast altogether, what kind of light would you recommend for my tank?
3) Okay, I'll reduce accordingly :)
4) Thanks for the info, least I can stop worrying

Question: Are my plants thriving? or are they slowly dying?

IMG_4813[1].jpg IMG_4811[1].jpg IMG_4812[1].jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Given your ambient temperatures, I'd go with LED lighting, given it gives off much less heat than fluorescent lighting. Great looking tank!! I see a neon tetra in there. I'd be surprised if they do well for you given they do best in cooler water temps. ~68-72F. Cardinal tetras do fine in tropical temps.

Cinnamonbunn

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2015
Sorry to frighten you guys about my temp, it's just the outside temp. I checked (noon time) my water temp its at 24-26 probably a bit lower at night. Unfortunately I woke up with my filter not responding, tried on a different plug but the motor isn't running anymore, it served me a good 13 years so I will be siphoning the gravel and make about 10% water change daily till I buy a new motorhead.

And to FreshyFresh I found out about 2w/gal rule so should I be getting around 24w LED light for my 12 gal tank? Please respond so that I can change the circuit inside my tank hood ^^ I've never kept shoaling fishes before it's so nice to watch them!, and thanks I was also surprised these fishes are doing well they swim around in groups but I'd give it a month before concluding.

I took this photo just now, well excluding my broken filter.

IMG_4819[1].JPG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The watt per gallon guideline doesn't apply to LED lighting. For LEDs, it's more about their intensity/lumens, color-temperature, quality of their reflectors, etc. Anything "warm white" is usually not the color-temp plants benefit from. Warm-white is usually ~2700K. Most freshwater plants do best with something in the 6500K range.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
"FreshyF" is right. Looking at your photos, most of those "stem" plants in the background will need bright lights. The swords in front can handle bright lights too.
And yes, the neons will do better in lower temps. Your plants look OK, but the brighter lights will help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store