Good tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
After losing five fish and a snail during an ich treatment and an ammonia spike :( everything has stabilized in my tank yay! I had to move 3 platies I had in a small tank in my daughters room to my main tank as the filter died and I couldn't replace it until this week, so in my main tank (37gal) I now have 1 Dalmatian Molly, 3 upside down catfish, 1 mystery snail, 3 platies, and 1 Molly fry. I want to add in some new guys soon but having a hard time deciding what to add I'm thinking I may just get some more mollies but looking for suggestions of other tank mates for these guys before I make up my mind...

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Couple of things, first I'd leave things alone for at least two weeks to make sure everything is stable for sure. As for molly, they can / should get to 3"-4" so too many in a 37gal may be an issue. Also mollys need some salt content, the cats will suffer from it. Also keep in mind mollys need veggies in the diet and produce a lot of dung so they muck up the works. You may want to go with platys or maybe some Endlers. Some cherry barbs would look nice or maybe some small tetras or rasboras.

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
It's been stable for a week now and ich has been gone for 2.5 weeks, and don't plan on adding anything till the 10th ish of April, I just like planning ahead :)... So I should stay away from mollies got it.

What tetras would be good with all the other guys in there? I could move the Molly and the one fry to my 25gal once it's stable again with new filter to add the salt needed, I gainned the catfish and snails from a friend who decided she didn't want them I had planned on an all Molly tank for my main tank, but with my friend giving me the others had to compromise on that... I plan on upgrading my tank in September a 37 gal is just to small for me lol. Will the 2 mollies be ok in the 25? And could I add in anything else with them?

A few years off from keeping fish has me relearning most things lol

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would stop, breathe, and plan your tank before you stock the tank. Do it slowly and surely!

:welcome:

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
Oh I plan to go slowly, I don't want any more fish deaths then I've already had, I just like planning lol. It's a 40min drive to the closest fish store I'll buy from so I like to know what I'm getting in advance so I can call them before I make the trip

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Oh I plan to go slowly, I don't want any more fish deaths then I've already had, I just like planning lol. It's a 40min drive to the closest fish store I'll buy from so I like to know what I'm getting in advance so I can call them before I make the trip
With a 40 min drive you want to insist on the store to fill up the bags with oxygen. They shouldn't even charge you for that after you tell them you have that far to drive. With acclimation in your tank, the fish will be in the bag for an hour or more. You can also ask for a styrofoam shipping container to lay the bag(s) in for stability and insulation. Again, they shouldn't charge or even want the box back - they will have tons of them each time they order fish for the store.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Yes keep in mind the life cycle of ich is deceptive. Just because the white spots have fallen off the fish doesn't mean that it is gone from the tank yet.
Good info here to keep in mind:

"The life cycle of Ichthyophthirius is complicated but very important in understanding the treatment and prevention of ich. Once the ich protozoan attaches to the side of the fish, it begins feeding on the skin and tissue causing irritation. The fish's body begins to wall off the parasite to try to limit its damage. The protozoan continues to move around in the cyst feeding and growing, while the body continues to further encapsulate and wall it off. This encapsulation by the body is one of the reasons that ich is so difficult to treat during this stage of the disease because medications cannot penetrate through the wall of the cyst to reach the ich parasite. During this stage, the ich protozoan is called a trophozoite. The trophozoite eventually matures and is termed a "trophont." It will burst through the cyst wall and then fall to the bottom of the aquarium. It then begins to divide into hundreds of new ich-infecting units called tomites. This stage is very temperature-dependent within its capsule, with the fastest replications occurring at warmer temperatures near 78-80°F. At optimum temperatures, the replication will be completed in about 8 hours. At lower temperatures, the replication takes longer making the treatment time for eradication much longer.Once the replication is complete, the trophont bursts and releases the newly-formed tomites into the water. The tomites are motile and swim around the tank searching for a fish to attach to. Once they attach to a fish, the cycle will start over again. It is during this stage that ich is most susceptible to treatment. Many of the available medications will kill the tomites, thereby stopping the cycle of ich in your tank. It should be noted that these tomites will only survive for 48 hours, if they do not find a fish to attach to. These tomites will also attach to plants, filter material, etc. So if you move a plant from an infected tank into a clean tank, you have just infected the clean tank with ich. Depending on the water temperature, the whole cycle can take from 4 days to several weeks"

By waiting a few more week and performing a few gravel vacs you should be able to ensure yourself its gone

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
... Also mollys need some salt content...
Inaccurate. Wild mollies occur in areas with no salt as well as areas which are subject to tidal influx of salt water. They are a highly adaptable species which can live in full fresh to full marine. We have wild sailfins here locally in drainage ditches and canals which contain no salt.

Mark

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
With a 40 min drive you want to insist on the store to fill up the bags with oxygen. They shouldn't even charge you for that after you tell them you have that far to drive. With acclimation in your tank, the fish will be in the bag for an hour or more. You can also ask for a styrofoam shipping container to lay the bag(s) in for stability and insulation. Again, they shouldn't charge or even want the box back - they will have tons of them each time they order fish for the store.
Oh yea they are very good about it all they have a lot Of customers from my area so they work with us, they will even deliver for a small fee and will order fish they don't normally stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store