"DIY" moonlighting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
What do you guys think of this for moon lighting?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221603302867

What other DIY solutions have you come up with?

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
I don't think I'd like a USB powered light for my tanks, but if you can cut this to length it would work pretty good if it's water proof or resistant.

I like my Current LED lights and can dim the moon light down quite a bit with the remote. This light is too handy for me to think about DIY.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
I'm sure your Current LED set up is sweet but I'm trying to find a cost effective solution without replacing my whole fixture. Usb was convenient for me since I have extra usb cell phone charge blocks laying around. Yes it says waterproof and most led strip lights can be cut to length every "X" amount of LEDs.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There is a difference in being waterproof and being able to last in a sustained environment of moisture...just my opinion.

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
I'll bet it will work great if you keep it above the glass top or taped to your fixture. They might look good way down low on the outside of the tank too.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
So I ended up getting the led strip I linked. It has a self adhesive back. I put it on top of the glass facing up into the reflector for a more indirect light source. Just right for what I wanted. Cell pic below...
IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2902.JPG

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
So I ended up getting the led strip I linked. It has a self adhesive back. I put it on top of the glass facing up into the reflector for a more indirect light source. Just right for what I wanted. Cell pic below...
View attachment 215238
Very Cool!! I bought a similar kit for our kids bathroom as a nightlight.

Do you know, do these light strips feed algae bloom?

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
what do you mean, feed algea bloom?
I currently have pea soup water, none on glass, but water is green. I would love to use this kind of light instead of the hood lights. I was curious if you knew if algae bloom could get essential light from the strip you used. It would be a great night light for the kids using the bathroom at night, as I have turned off the hood lights to slow the algae bloom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store