Sick Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
I have a Dwarf Honey Gourami that has developed a spot its left side just behind its pectoral fin (see pic). It seems to have developed over the course of the past week after a protracted shy spell where my Gourami retreated to the back of the tank. Research has led me to believe it may be Anchor Worm. Any help with identifying the malady and course of treatment would be greatly appreciated.

photo[3].JPG

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would start with small, consistent water changes or a few big ones daily. That looks like some sort of nasty parasite, though I am far from an expert on them. Sorry I could not help more!

:welcome:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wish I could offer advice on this one too. How long have you had this fish? Is quarantining an option?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would QT the little guy if you can. I'm not sure there's any value in adding some salt, but I'm far from well versed on fish meds. I've been reeeeeal lucky over the years, only dealing with ich and bloat.

The only luck I've ever had with a dwarf gourami, was with a tiny female that was sold to me as a dwarf honey gourami. Had her for a few years and eventually gave her away when I was changing tanks around. She stayed very small. Any of the dwarf flames I tried were short lived.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Z, one med that's fairly popular at other boards I frequent is PraziPro. Many keepers treat their QTs with it regardless of symptoms. Supposedly a very gentile med that covers a lot of bases. Again, I have no direct experience with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store