Cory Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Was hoping to have a more interactive forum for questions and answers. Seems I wait days for a response if one comes through at all. Alas my cory fry are 7 weeks old now and almost an inch long. Male is a peppered cory / female an albino cory. All fry are of peppered variety with long dorsal fins. As they mature have noticed some are paler than others. Not albino as they carry the spotted pattern of the peppered cory but 'paaler' than their siblings. Is that possible?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Could just be the result of the cross-breeding, as is very common with cory cats.

:welcome:

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Understood. But from reading know albino species are variations or peppered and/or bronze variety..but it gets confusing the more you read about the species...I purchased 3juvenile peppered cory to my mature tank with albino/panda/laser cory already established..I say juvenile as they were not more than an inch in length...youngsters so i thought..didnt take a day before 2 of the them starting chasing a robust albino female(3x its size) Now I have bout 30 fry in 2 breeders tanks in mature tank....all survived and doing well...advice on websites should dictate i have no fertile eggs or surviving fry but they all did and still are...i'm more confused than ever...

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Albino cories can be either aeneus or paleatus. It could be your albino is a paleatus. However if you are not sure and you intend to sell or distribute them you should be sure to tell prospective buyers that the fry are hybrids and not paleatus.

Hybrids are generally not accepted among hobbyists but are perfectly acceptable to casual aquarium keepers. They should never ever be misrepresented as a pure species though.

Andy

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
The more you read, yes the more confusing it gets yet more interesting too..In my 20 gallon I have a group of albinos..pretty sure aeneus variety.. while at the lfs I purchased another albino(only one in tank) that was sold to be for more money as it had different finniage..now I realize that's a paleautus species - which would explain maybe why he doesn't school much with the other albinos..so noted that maybe my fry are perhaps hybrids....though many sites will say corys won't crossbreed ( even though the albino variety seems to have been established thus) maybe the female albino is of the paleatus variety as is the male peppered so is that then a hybrid or am i over thinking...

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks all. But I need more of a community forum. So I'm signing out. Be happy...

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thanks all. But I need more of a community forum. So I'm signing out. Be happy...
Not to be rude, but I don't really see where the problem is. You already start off how unhappy you are with the activity level here - and yet you were hoping to change that by saying so? I have followed the thread with interest. Learned things, not that I am going to breed any fish myself though. Since I am not intending to breed, I would be happy to buy sterile fish that are the undesired hybrid kind - if it is the right kind of fish and looks nice. You got the sound advice earlier to just declare them all hybrids and sell them or give them away as that. You did not purposely intend to breed them as you thought it was impossible due to age, so you shouldn't expect any profit of it. If you don't want to take care of them, give them to the LFS for free and tell them they need to label them as hybrids since you can't be sure what they are. Problem solved.

As far as I read, you never once said what you were planning to do with the fry.

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Thankyou Duckie. You are right and you are not being rude..I really thought this was as interactive as sending text msgs. I get it. I'm not too old but old enough to not have computer classes when i went to high school...so it's a learning curve..
I don't seek profit but as others do put more info out to help....Still can't understand why others use meth blue for eggs...not sure their set-up...a firm believer in letting nature takes its course.. huge fan of rainbow fish...keep dwarf neon rainbows in my 40 who ive never seen spawn yet i have 2 offspring of which are doing very well(survived in main tank)
I don't keep fish to breed fish...but nature has its way...so i finally did something about it....
and roughly 30 fry later of a cory hatch -well u read the threads...
to add to the mix my cory cats laid eggs in my 20 gallon...i don't use lights...firm believer in natural sunlight...prefer the moonlights(bluer moonlight)a little more costly but why light a tank in daylight? is it for the fish or is it for you? my plants-mostly java fern and java moss grow like a bad weed under these conditions...camboda plant(which is highly prolific and banned in certain areas) never had luck with..and duck weed has never done well with me
and if i purchase anything(not livestock) from a petstore i give a hydrogyn peroxide bath to kill any pathogens...but alas i had a snail infestation...which makes great food when crushed for any fish u keep

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
trust me...not hard to let your fish let nature take its course...i read alot on sites....am i an expert no...so ive had tanks for 40 yrs...and many casualties...only because i did it for me...not for them...I realize how cool it is to fill a new tank with different fish you like...we're all guilty of it at first and some die...many sites dictate 3 min per species yet 6 plus is better...really?

One thing i agree on...if you are starting out-no matter size of tank...more of one species works...have 13 harlequins in a 20with 8 albino cories and 11 neons in a 20 who were housed in a 10 gallon for a year with no casualties..many will balk at this...don't mix. in your mind u may see something different but when u see a full(10 +) school ur hooked

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Hi djr1.

I understand that your not familiar with forums. It also appears that you are typing from a phone. One thing I think would help everyone is if you considered your posts like you were typing a letter or email and not a text. When you type a text you don't use punctuation and the format looks very different. While this is fine for texts it makes a forum post very difficult to read. Without punctuation your posts read like one giant run on sentence because of the lack of punctuation.

In regards to cory breeding,

I understand that you like to keep things natural but you have to remember that an aquarium is not anything close to natural habitat for the fish. In the wild, the levels of egg killing fungus are much lower than in an aquarium. You also have bacterial and fungal inhibiting plant compounds in the water. Breeders use methylene blue and acriflavin as fungal inhibitors to prevent eggs from being attacked by fungus. You can also use natural products like alder cones and almond leaves for the same purpose. I use a little bit of everything depending on whether I am raising the cory eggs in the breeding tank or moving the eggs to a hatching container.

Your tanks sound very attractive and good luck on your future breeding efforts.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store