Heater preferences

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
The VisiTherm in my 29gal community has stopped working. Red light comes on but it is not heating. Put in a small heater to try to keep the temp up for now, but I'm going to order a new one today. Any suggestions apart from the VisiTherm? Who is making quality these days?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I haven't had any issues with my Aqueon and Aqueon Pro heaters. Some of the cheap Marineland ones I have can stick on/off. German made Sera heaters are also highly regarded. They are nice because of their small footprint compared to others.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Won't be of much help to you this time but I buy a bunch of the cheapy Chinese Ebay stainless steel ones in all different sizes. They're surprisingly good but if you like expensive stuff better it's still good to have a bunch of spares ready for any failures.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Currently using Marineland's Precision heater now. Works as it should and is very easy to read and adjust the temp dial up top.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I've had 3 Eheim Jager Trutemp heaters fail on me within 6 months to a year of purchasing them. The temp dials were not accurate at all (not even close) and the calibration feature was a bust. This is just my personal experience with them. The heating elements eventually quit working on all 3 leading to the thermostat and light remaining constantly on without the heaters producing any heat.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Last week, I picked up a spare Maineland 100w heater from DFS for ~$16 on sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store