Feeding Crickets?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hi Everyone,

I've got a young Oscar that I primarily feed Hikari Gold, New Life Spectrum pellets and freeze dried Red Shrimp. He's putting on great size and I was considering getting some live foods into his diet.

I would never use feeder fish because of the potential disease issues, but I've been considering crickets.

Has anyone ever fed their fish crickets, is it safe, healthy? Any known risks? Do crickets carry any parasites or diseases? From what I can find through research, insects like this would compose a portion of a young Oscar's diet.

Would it be safe to use crickets purchased from Petsmart?

Thanks for your help!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Crickets would actually be healthy for him it wouldn't harm him considering how some people feed their oscars mice and they are fine, yeah but crickets would go good! Once mine gets a tad bigger he's gonna be on crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chaz88

AC Members
Mar 26, 2015
I used to feed them with vitamin dust on them. Some stores will dust them for you. The other option is to keep them for awhile and gut load them with fish flakes or something else. Right from the store they generally do not have a lot of nutritional value. That is why I used the dust. Eventually my O's got so lazy that they would not eat anything but floating pellets. That only happened with the last two I had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store