Tank weight concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedRarebit

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2015
So this is my first post on this forum (hi!) and I've come with a question that has sort of been concerning me even after all the reading, and research, and trying to mentally plan things out as well as talking to two aquarium loving buddies. They've both given me a different answer to this question, so I'm seeking fresh minds.

I'm intending to get a 25G tank - do I need to spend money on a specialized stand to hold all the weight, or will my solid-wood chest of drawers be enough to handle it? Additionally, I've seen warnings about being sure the floor will take the weight of the tank; is that really such a huge concern, or is this intended for places like apartments and such, where the floors might be thinner or made of lower quality materials?

Thanks for looking!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
25 gal... 225-250 tank/water/décor/stand shouldn't be any worries on your floor...I would recommend any stand other than standard furniture unless I saw it first...

RedRarebit

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2015
Well, the floor thing is reassuring. I'm not sure how to describe the furniture, except that it looks a lot like the stands that tend to be sold with tanks, to be honest. I guess I'm asking if the stands are especially reinforced or something?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have been a bit worried about this also since I am setting up a new 75g tank. The stand is from Marineland and so is the tank. The stand was made for it, but a 75 filled with water and all the rocks etc. will weigh over 900 lbs. I have been assured that the stand that was made for the tank will be fine, but it looks so flimsy that I cannot help being a bit worried. then again, I worried that my 20g and stand would not work and it is fine. Please you owners of 75g tanks with stand , please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, like said, we're only talking ~250lbs. That's nothing in tank world. If the furniture can suppor 2 people securely, and you don't mind it getting wet (from the tank) go for it.

RedRarebit

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2015
Oh, thats a huge relief! Thank you so much for the answers guys - its always the little questions that keep you up at night.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
pics inside and out of what you want to use?

RedRarebit

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2015
Given that it currently has my clothes in it, that might be an issue XD I'll see what I can do when its not midnight.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
thisa is totally off topic but i have always wanted to know,what does XD mean?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I have been a bit worried about this also since I am setting up a new 75g tank. The stand is from Marineland and so is the tank. The stand was made for it, but a 75 filled with water and all the rocks etc. will weigh over 900 lbs. I have been assured that the stand that was made for the tank will be fine, but it looks so flimsy that I cannot help being a bit worried. then again, I worried that my 20g and stand would not work and it is fine. Please you owners of 75g tanks with stand , please tell me I have nothing to worry about.
You will have nothing to worry about concerning the stand. I just tore down my 75 gallon, also marineland I think, with flimsy stock stand. It is all pressed wood and from the look of it shouldn't be able to hold the tank. Never had a problem the about 8 years it has been sitting in the same spot. Now I also know what the color of the carpet is supposed to look like. Was FW though, not salt, so a SW tank will add a little more weight (salt and rocks).

Unless you know how structually sound your floor is, you might want to have somebody check that out, especially if you plan to add a sump underneath. Never ever believe anybody saying - oh sure, 75 gallon is perfectly fine on any floor (it is not). That is over 1000 pounds in a small 4 x 1 1/2 foot footprint. Most residential buildings will handle it, but only because most are over engeneered by design. If you look up minimum building codes, you will be shocked.

My landlord told me that my 180 gallon is fine, and that the floor will hold it. Haha. So I went in the crawlspace and put a floorjack under the joist anyway. Now I know that tank is not going anywhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store