Swim Bladder Disease in Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poffwah

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Telford, PA
I think my betta fish seems to be displaying symptoms of swim bladder disease/disorder. He's bloated only on one side and either stays at the surface (laying on a leaf) or at the bottom of the tank. I've tried frequent water changes, fasting him, and feeding him a cooked frozen pea to no avail. I noticed recently though that he seems to be pooping regularly so I don't think that constipation is the issue. I think it may be internal parasites or bacteria? He has lost a bit of color from stress. Here is a picture of him:

Xaero.jpg

He is a double tail betta, in a 30 gallon planted, community tank with marigold platys, neon tetras, and Siamese algae eaters. The tank is around 68 degrees.
I am wondering what I can do for him. I've been worried. He has been like this for a few weeks now. Is there a certain medication or other treatment method that I can try on him to clear this up? Can this be permanent or fatal?

Thank you for your help.

Xaero.jpg

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Is there a reason to keep the temperature so cold with all tropical fish in there? When I was keeping goldfish together with tropical fish (I know, I know) I left the tank around 79 degrees. The goldfish did not seam to mind much, but I wouldn't keep my tropical fish in 68 degree water. The one goldfish that came from the fair of all things was almost 5 years old when it died 2 years ago and was always in the 79 degree tank. If goldfish weren't so messy, I would probably have one again.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Sorry about your betta. I wish I could help you there, but I agree with Duckie. That temperature is too cold. Bettas are tropical. Mine is in 78 degree water.
There must be some specialized betta forums you could look into, or try Youtube. You can find info on nearly anything there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store