is this to much flow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am planning a 20 gallon high,my tank is going to hold a lot of fish and inverts so i am going to need a lot of filtration. i think i MAY have ran into a problem.my tank is centered around red cherry shrimp, so i am going to have small fish that wont mess with them that much. The fish include espei rasboras, celestial pearl danios, and norman's lampeye kilifish, these are small fish so i am not sure if i have to big filters. I am planning to put on this tank 1 aquaclear 150 and 1 aquaclear 200.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What you need instead of that much flow is a more effective filter. A wet/dry trickle filter springs to mind - they are still effective with really slow flow, so spread the water out over more bio media. You might end up with a sump that is bigger than the display tank. :D

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
No such thing as too much flow.

Besides, the fish are easier to see when they're pinned against the front glass.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So we're talking an AC30 and an AC50. I own several 30's and they're pretty mild. Not sure on the 50, but I do have some AC70s and a 110. Those put out a lot of flow. The footprint is pretty small on a 20H, but you can always dial down the flow a bit, plus you'll need sponges over the intakes to slow down the shrimp uptake.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I think i'm going to go with the wet/dry filter option. I am not known for under stocking,if you know what I mean. Can i buy a wet and dry filter in a store? I could make one if i wanted to, i got enough room for a 20 gallon long under the tank but I would rather do a 10 gallon since I have a lot of them not being used.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can just get std HOB.. some are called wet/dry as they have media that works similar to a wet/dry in principle.

you can simply employ sponge filters as well , if you are curious how effective sponge filters are..just ask local breeders... they really only lack in their ability to remove solid waste which is removed during water changes.. and the shrimp love the sponges as algae can gro on those.

there is some controversy surrounding how effective wet/drys actually are. btw..more biomedia does not make a filter more effective.. the filter can only populate the biological surfaces for the bioload in the tank.. more biomedia is simply a waste....

all my apisto tanks run a small HOB rated for the tank size and sponge filter...
my breeding tanks pretty much are similar with more emphasis on sponge filters(less turbulent water = better fertilization rates)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store