strange angelfish behavior in late evening

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deetles

AC Members
Feb 10, 2015
I have a 36 gallon tank been up for 6-8 weeks now & I have it stocked w/ 3 platies 5 lemon tetras and 5 guppies..oh and a snail & a baby bristlenosed plec.

The past couple of nights after We turn off our room light (but the tank light is still on) the angel is in the front corner of the tank nibbling/biting the corner glass then he quickly charges (and I do mean CHARGES) to the other side of the tank....chases any fish in his way and keeps doing this for 3 - 5 minutes. He/She is normally very peaceful & does not bother the other fish, but when hawayts in this state he chases any fish he sees.

He does seem to claim oneawayner of the tank but is usually not such a butthead. He calms down after a few minutes it seems. I don't know if he sees his reflection in the glass & thinks its another angel or if he is being a little wacko & I should be concerned? All the levels in the tank are good

Also, I swear he makes a knocking/popping sound very often. Has anyone else experienced this noise in an angel? I know its him because it sounds further away when he swims away from me.

I really like this fish and I don't want to have problems with him. I put up this 36 gallon tank just for him as he out grew my 20.

Any ideas???

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sometimes female angelfish will lay eggs on the glass even with no male present to fertilize them. Yours could be a female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store