screwup in tank restart w/nitrogen cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
I just cleaned the tank, set up the filters/heater, and put water back into a tank that I emptied out over a year ago due to a move. I got Tetra Safestart for the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle and dumped it in, then did water testing. To my surprise, there was no ammonia or nitrites, just nitrates. However, I only realized after the fact that my old habit kicked in, and I stuck in Amquel Plus detoxifier into the water, like I normally did with water changes, so it's all been neutralized/converted. So my question is what now? Theoretically, there should be bacteria from Safestart for ammonia/nitrites in the water, but there's nothing for them to eat/convert. So is my nitrogen cycle hosed? Should I empty out like half the water tomorrow morning and dump in fresh water that's not been neutralized, so I have ammonia/nitrites, so the cycle goes like it should? Or should I stick in fish immediately to get their waste for the cycle, and monitor the chemistry? Not sure what is best. There's no fish yet, was going to wait for the weekend to go with the kids (they want guppies).

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
I thought lots of municipal tap water has chlorine or chloramines typically, the second which contains ammonia. However, reading up on my old notes, amquel neutralizes ammonia, but is still present, so will be converted by bacteria. Should that should show up on the test? I tested the water this morning, and it's still 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and maybe 5-10 ppm of nitrates. Normal nitrogen cycle, by my understanding, will have ammonia go up/down, nitrites go up/down, and nitrates go up. This is due to waiting for the bacteria to form to neutralize each one. However, if I'm jumpstarting it with the Tetra Safestart, which has all 3 bacteria, will this occur? The package itself says its safe to add fish immediately.

I didn't use Safestart or any such thing the first time I started my tank like 10+ years ago, and had to wait weeks. The chemistry spike up/down for ammonia/nitrites occurred like I expected, but not sure what should occur doing it with Safestart. My basic question is was I supposed to stick in Amquel at the beginning, and if my ammonia/nitrite tests are 0, then can I stick fish in?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
It is my understanding that the bacteria require ammonia to live. Tap water is not a source of ammonia, so you need to add ammonia for fishless cycling, or add fish gradually to supply ammonia for the bacteria. As the bacteria multiply, then you can gradually add more fish. Keep a test kit handy, and if ammonia or nitrites get high do lots of water changes. As for the Amquel, you don't need that unless you have ammonia, and I think water changes are a better way to go.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Can you get some filter media or substrate from someone who has an established tank and seed that way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store