alagee problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ziggy4M1

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
Hi was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of an algagee problem. seems to be brown in color . I am keeping a 65 gallon discus tank . Combination of both plastic and live plants . two 300 watt heaters a fluval C4 power filter and a marineland magnum 350 canister filter , gets 8 hours og light a day . The tank has 6 discus, 4 bolivian rams 5 corys 15 neons 1 guppy and two zebera dianos.

Can't seem to get rid of the algagee it has grown on everything , been taking plants out and just scrubbing the stuff off , does anyone know of an easy way of eliminating this problem , any help would be appreciated.
\

Also does anyone know of anygood discus dealers in or near ny that are reasonably priced . thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) What kind of lights do you have??
2) Brown algae will usually go away by itself (If it is brown alge).
3) Snails will eat it.
4) Flouris Excel "CAN" help.

ziggy4M1

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
hi

right now I am just running 2 floresant lights , sorry can't spell. I think its brown algee just not sure . I could be wrong . Was debating on adding snails to the tank . It is just a pain in the butt to tear down this tank all the time and scrub everything and you still can't get rid of it all . Its not green in color , its sort of brownish red , I've been told to use bleach to kill it all off but very hesident because of the discus. Think I'll go over to petsmart and see about some snails. thanks . i'll keep you updated

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just reduce your lighting amount or time that it's on. Be careful with snails. You may wind up with more than you want.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had some mystery snails breed in my 20L and had dozens of them. Gave most of them away. They were sold to me as "mystery snails" anyway..

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Are you dosing fertilizers ?

Here are some things that helped me when I had algae issues. First, scrub of any algae that is easily accessible (on glass, rocks, fake plants) then do a 50% water change (keep up with routine water changes). Leave the lights off for 2-3 days (your plants will be ok). If you don't have one already get a light timer set it for 6 hours and see how that works. Lastly nerite snails are great at cleaning algae (and they wont breed in fresh water), amano shrimp are also decent cleaners.

(Also if you are adding too much food that could be a problem. Only add what will be eaten in a 30 min period)

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Some fast growing plants can sometimes out compete the algae for nutrients and it will eventually die off. Feed less, frequent partial water changes, and I have also been told that adding increased current to the water can help some. It won't happen overnight, but once you start getting things in balance, the algae won't have much of a chance. Definitely don't keep tearing down the tank and scrubbing. Try to eliminate the cause or causes for the algae bloom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store