Thinking about a Paludarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mattpersico98

Registered Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hey guys, I have been thinking about setting up a paludarium for a while now. The tank size I'm leaning towards is 75 gallons, but I could possibly go to a 90 gallon. What I want to ask you guys about is stocking, I have been doing research on different kinds of reptiles and which ones may be suitable for a paludarium set up, and to be honest, I am kind of lost in it all. I am thinking a couple lizards or a snake, maybe even frogs? Anyways, I am also lost in the aquatic part of stocking as well, as I want something that will be fast enough to get away from the lizards/snake/frogs if they decide they want an extra meal, but I also want some decent size and colour. A standard 75 gallon is 21 inches tall, and I guess I'll split it 50/50, so about ten inches of water. Last question, what should I do in terms of scaping the setup. I was thinking some nice pieces of driftwood that would go both in and out of the water, but I'm not sure what else. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with live plants, but I could try to get some included in the setup. Any and all advice is welcome, I have done quite a bit of research, but there is so much info out there, I'm really having trouble putting it all together.

P.S. I am a beginner when it comes to reptiles, but I know what I'm doing with fish, so keep that i mind when making your suggestions.

Also, mods, feel free to move this to the right place if I have posted it in the wrong section. This is my first post here, and I am still getting used to the forum:)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
These are very difficult to maintain once established. Not so much for the fish, but for the other animal life involved. Having said that I think there was a great thread about one on this very site.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
There is a section on this site dedicated to Terrariums, Paludariums and Vivariums but it is very slow.

These tanks turn into environments with a few animals in them rather than the most efficient or easy to house the animals.

If this is your interest, plan on the simplest and most hearty fish, plants, and animals to begin with. Once you prove that your environment is sound you can always increase population or trade specimens out.

Now that we have the internet, the fun with any new project is finding photos that inspire you and finding a way to engineer that for yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store