Quarantine Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I opt for 3 - 4 weeks, though I have never experienced any problem, illness or disease with any fish I've bought through local fish clubs/auction events.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I was wondering what would be best for water changes when the QT doesn't have a filter and is uncycled. Would I just dump out some water of QT and put in water from main tank, or go with all new water. And how often is it recommended to change water on a QT? My thinking is that maybe the tank water they eventually go into might be better than fresh as they won't need to be acclimated again when they come out of the QT. Daily 10% water changes would be good enough? Or 25% every other day?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Many folks have that opinion...right up until they lose a tank of fish or favorite ones from just dumping new ones without QT'ing.....

Monitor ammonia and change water daily if needed...new tap water. Though bringing some media over from an established filter works wonders, as does a sponge filter that is normally run on the main tank....

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I am going to get about 20 cardinal tetras this week. Eventually they will be going into the 75g with the angel fish, but for a couple of weeks they will be in QT. I am going to add some media from an established tank into the filter on the QT, but since it is only 10g, I will still be doing frequent water changes and testing. If the water quality stays good, then the water changes can be less frequent.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
as for the filter I use a sponge filter that I keep in the main tank and put it in the q tank when you need it and if no symptoms after a month then put the fish and put the filter back after cleaning it

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Many folks have that opinion...right up until they lose a tank of fish or favorite ones from just dumping new ones without QT'ing.....

Monitor ammonia and change water daily if needed...new tap water. Though bringing some media over from an established filter works wonders, as does a sponge filter that is normally run on the main tank....
Well spoken.
I am going to get about 20 cardinal tetras this week. Eventually they will be going into the 75g with the angel fish, but for a couple of weeks they will be in QT. I am going to add some media from an established tank into the filter on the QT, but since it is only 10g, I will still be doing frequent water changes and testing. If the water quality stays good, then the water changes can be less frequent.
Your angel might think of them as food,just a heads up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store