American Flag Killifish - curbing aggression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Hi all,

we fell in love with the flag killifish at the lfs, and the cursory research we did via smartphone indicated they would be okay in our lightly stocked, planted community 45 gallon.

We got them home, and did more reading... and started to notice the worrying reports of aggression and plant nibbling. It seems to be highly variable behaviour though, and so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to help these little beauties get along with our guppies and panda cories, and avoid having them mow through our plants?

TIA :)

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
I don't have specific experience with them but the basics should be to break the line of sight so that they can get away and hide thus avoiding the aggression. As for the plants make sure to feed them algae and algae wafers so that they are not hungry and are satiated on plants.

Hope that helps.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
They will, unfortunately, nibble plants :/ is the aggression among themselves? Could be lack of hiding places/line of sight breaks, or just them establishing a pecking order.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I think your plants and guppys are going to get pick to shreds, just very slowly at first. These guys are best kept in a backwater type environment with a contoured bottom wit rocks, driftwood and other territory markes.

charlesbabage

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2015
I wish that as for the plants make sure to feed them algae and algae wafers so that they are not hungry and are satiated on plants.but change the environment in country

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store