I have a few aquarium building questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erikk

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2015
I've never built an aquarium before, but I would like to build a large one(180g+) and see how it goes. My first question is, is there any special type of glass I would need to use? If I use 1/2 inch, would I still need to brace it? how much does the glass weight per square foot for both 1/2 and 3/8 inch? I would probably be working alone, and want to make sure I can move and position the pieces by my self. Other than the cost of the glass and possible water damage, is there a reason not to try to build a large tank as my first build? Could I use a non glass material for 3 sides and the bottom and still use glass for the viewing side and have it still hold water?

Thank you.
-Erik

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Anything of that size is going to need bracing. Online, I've seen tanks built with wood/plywood on three sides (maybe even the bottom too?), with a glass or plastic front. I believe I've also seen concrete block tanks online. I guess Google would be your friend with this project.

Me.. I'd look for a standard 6ft, ~120g and be done with it.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Me.. I'd look for a standard 6ft, ~120g and be done with it.
Eggsactly.

180 gallons of water on your carpet is no laughing matter. Well it would be to me since I won' tbe cleaning it up when it fails.

If you still want to try it cut your teeth on a smaller tank to see how things go.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I have seen plenty of blogs where people have documented doing things just like that. All the same, if it were my investment of time, and money, and my house at risk, I'd build a couple of smaller ones first. Thin glass is cheap and you'll make 90% of your newbie mistakes on the tanks that cost you a few dollars in supplies and not risk the big one. If you size it right, you could make a 55g as your test tank and end up using it as your sump. Another smaller one could be a refugium or find some other filtering purpose.

I'm all for jumping in with both feet; I have done it more times than I should have. While it always turns out nearly as well as I expect it to, I learn so much from it that, by the time it is set up, I know how I would do the next one differently.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
At 180 gallon you should not worry about the weight of 3/8 inch glass. Not strong enough - all I ever seen (including the one in my living room) use 1/2 inch glass. Weight of my tank (180 perfecto / marineland) is about 360 lbs.

Erikk

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2015
Anything of that size is going to need bracing.
I was asking about bracing because I saw a 300 gallon tank on amazon with no bracing and no top trim and would like to replicate it. I plan on building it in my outbuilding which has a concrete floor with a drain, and wasn't worried about leakage, but mainly price and difficulty. I eventually want to build one 700-800 gallons, but I think you guys are right about starting with a 55 for practice.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I was asking about bracing because I saw a 300 gallon tank on amazon with no bracing and no top trim and would like to replicate it. I plan on building it in my outbuilding which has a concrete floor with a drain, and wasn't worried about leakage, but mainly price and difficulty. I eventually want to build one 700-800 gallons, but I think you guys are right about starting with a 55 for practice.
Bracing or no bracing is a tradeoff in thickness of the glass / acrylic. You can make any size tank without bracing, as long as you make the glass thicker (a lot thicker the longer and or higher the tank). You don't technically would need bracing on the 180 gallon with 1/2 inch glass if all you are worried about is that it holds the water. There is always an allowance for safety built in, which might seem like overkill, but you will be glad there was if you accidentally bump the full tank. At one point or the other you will bump the tank, no matter how careful you are. Got kids or grandkids? What do they do? They will touch the tank, they will tap the glass, they will smack it with their hands. If I had the choice of either bracing or thicker glass, I would take the bracing any day. But then I don't ever plan to have a tank that doesn't have a lid on top.

Building to absolute minimum requirements is never a good idea.

James murray

AC Members
Nov 7, 2016
Bracing or no bracing is a tradeoff in thickness of the glass / acrylic. You can make any size tank without bracing, as long as you make the glass thicker (a lot thicker the longer and or higher the tank). You don't technically would need bracing on the 180 gallon with 1/2 inch glass if all you are worried about is that it holds the water. There is always an allowance for safety built in, which might seem like overkill, but you will be glad there was if you accidentally bump the full tank. At one point or the other you will bump the tank, no matter how careful you are. Got kids or grandkids? What do they do? They will touch the tank, they will tap the glass, they will smack it with their hands. If I had the choice of either bracing or thicker glass, I would take the bracing any day. But then I don't ever plan to have a tank that doesn't have a lid on top.

Building to absolute minimum requirements is never a good idea.
How would you build a 60 gallon tank stand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store