What shall I feed a parrot cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaindioux

AC Members
May 3, 2008
Hi

OK here is the deal, I have a large parrot cichlid that has to be the worse fish in history to eat. I have tried flakes they would pollute the tank, I switched to freeze dried bloodworms and he never took a bite. Now I am feeding him cichlid staple from Hikari and he must grab 1 or 2 floating pellets and that's it, the rest gets stuck to filters or finally sink to the bottom to pollute. I can't hand feed him dropping 1 pellet at a time in front of his nose and drop a second one when he is ready and so on. He is alone in the 55ga tank.
I seriously need tips, because that uneaten food helps algae grow in my tank. I have thought about trading him at the LFS but I never abandon my pets so that's out. I have thought about starving him for 3 or 4 days then drop some pellets but haven't tried yet.

Thanks

Patrick

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
It has been less than 24 hours and on a weekday. People will reply as they find time.

These are man made fish that would never survive in the wild for the very reasons you describe; they could not compete with fish with more normal mouths.

One was left on my doorstep in a cleaning bucket that smelled of soap one day a few summers ago (no joke). It has been living in a tank with other fish ever since. If you have the tank space put in some other fish. It can't eat any of them and is harmless even in a community tank. Any other fish you have will help take care of the food waste you have. It also works well with a few other cichlids as they can't eat it. How many gallons is the tank? I have a couple pictus cats with mine and they eat everything that makes it to the bottom of the tank.

I guess the short version of this is that, alone, there will be waste. Get him some friends. If that is not practical for whatever reason, weigh the quality of life for him. If it is not possible to meet his needs in a practical way at home, find him a different home. It is the best thing for him. Everyone ends up with a "learning experience" fish from time to time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store