Are root tabs and excel enough?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
So I have my plants listed in my signature, but what I want to know is if root tabs (diy osmocote) and excel with the appropriate lighting are enough. Do I need ferts in the water column? I have some of the low light plants that look great but the swords don't want to get very tall. Oh and the hair grass looks okay but I haven't seen any new growth. I assume I've wasted my time on this since I don't have co2.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
From my experience, swords need high lights and root food. Everyone always say swords are low light, and yes they can live in low light, but will never grow big and tall. Anubias and crypts (from my experince) also grow taller and faster under higher lights (well, maybe not crypt Parva) and CO2. Excel is not a good substitute for CO2, it is a nice additive, but not a replacement for it.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
With that said, can you still dose excel if you are injecting co2? I'm not sure what reason you would want to do that for. I'm just debating on a co2 system and trying to determine if I should wait until my excel is gone.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use Excel too, but as a supplement. I have high light and a CO2 system. One really has little to do with the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store