missing corydoras found, dead and stuck in shell :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishkatt

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2015
I just wanted to warn other corydoras owners: two of my cories went missing; one 2 months ago, and the other 1 month ago. Today I was cleaning the tank and moved the shells (pink mouthed murex) and to my horror saw that one of the tank's tetras had gotten wedged in there.

I carefully got the tetra out (since the shell was dissolved in areas, I broke pieces off and got the tetra free.) To my continued horror, I saw the decomposing body of the missing green cory wedged even further into the shell. I pulled all the murex shells out of the tank (no more shells like that in there ever again) and got his body out. And was even more upset to see the decomposed skeleton of the original missing albino cory.

I tore that tank apart when they went missing, but I figured the pleco ate them. I had no idea they could get stuck like that. Terrible.

I urge you to not put shells in your tank that spiral like the pink mouthed murex shells, since two of my cories died terrible deaths in there.

Stage

AC Members
Sep 8, 2015
I've had two fish go missing lately! One was a cardinal tetra the other a sterbai's cory cat. I have three large pieces of driftwood structured at an angle and rocks underneath to support. My thought is they wen in the cave thats formed under the rocks and got trapped. I'd hope not given there a large hole to get out of but who knows how it looks down there from inside. I'd rearrange but I've planted the top of the driftwood so am hesitant to do that. All my other fish don't have a problem with it.

Thanks for the warning though Fishkatt!

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
I just wanted to warn other corydoras owners: two of my cories went missing; one 2 months ago, and the other 1 month ago. Today I was cleaning the tank and moved the shells (pink mouthed murex) and to my horror saw that one of the tank's tetras had gotten wedged in there.

I carefully got the tetra out (since the shell was dissolved in areas, I broke pieces off and got the tetra free.) To my continued horror, I saw the decomposing body of the missing green cory wedged even further into the shell. I pulled all the murex shells out of the tank (no more shells like that in there ever again) and got his body out. And was even more upset to see the decomposed skeleton of the original missing albino cory.

I tore that tank apart when they went missing, but I figured the pleco ate them. I had no idea they could get stuck like that. Terrible.

I urge you to not put shells in your tank that spiral like the pink mouthed murex shells, since two of my cories died terrible deaths in there.
i know how you feel. i remember many missing account of pygmy cories, cherry shrimp and ember tetra in my tank. my shrimp would be pregnant but there was no significant increase in shrimp population.

it was only a few weeks later that i found a ton of baby shrimp, two ember tetra and some pygmies in my filter. sadly one of the embers and pygmy died in the filter. good news is that all the baby shrimp have fully grown and alot of them are berried. also the pygmies and embers that were saved are healthy and strong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store