How to cycle 3000 gal pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
I just finished building my pond.
its 3000 gal, i added12 inch Iridescent shark into the pond.
I'm preparing the pond for 7 pcs 24 inch arowanas.
but want to make sure its safe and ready for them.
I just cleaned one of my sump which is really dirt, i rinsed the dirt into my sump. I'm just curious if my pond will cycle with only the 2 Iridescent sharks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
A pond is no different than a fish tank. You start cycle, check water every day, you wait for ammonia spike, then nitrite spike. Ideally you won't see a nitrate spike in a pond as your plants (you got lots of plants, right?) should take care of that. Just remember that it is not the size of the pond that is cycled, but the capacity of your filter that determines how much bioload it can handle. It will cycle with one small fish, but don't expect to e able to throw lots of big fish in all at once.

Other than that there is 2 complaints from me with your plan.

First, cycling with fish is cruel - even if you use expendable fish like goldfish. Unlike a regular tank you can't just do daily large water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite low enough to keep your cycle fish alive. Still, even when doing that you cause permanent damage and shorten their life.

Second, keeping 7 arowanas in only 3000 gal does not sound right. Arowanas are solitary fish. Sure they will shoal as juveniles, but once they reach adulthood they need each their own territory. I don't see that happening in 3000 gallon. Also what are you planning with the ID sharks after they did the cycling for you?

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks, I'm seeding with old filter media from my tank's sump.
for the arowana's I',m trying to breed them , I have a pair from my community already.
But i need them to be all together to get more pairs.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Good luck on your breeding. And hopefully there won't be any casualties while they try to pair up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store