Black Fuzz On My Plants, Fish Stressed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
Hi,
I have an interesting problem. I was installing a new inline CO2 reactor and because it is inline it required that I cut the output hose of my one of my canister filters I had heard that this brand of reactor was known to leak so I got another hose in case I had an um-fixabel problem and I didn't want to end up with to short of a hose anyway, sure enough I could not stop all of the leaks that came from this new reactor so I put on the new hose I bought, now I went to my local fish store and they did not have any hose so I got one at the hardware store, I put it on, the next day I saw what appeared to be black fuzz on all of the outer edges of the leaves on all of my plants shoots too, at first I thought nothing of it but the next day I noticed my Discus at the top of the tank by the spray bars looking like they wanted Oxygen I looked at the plants again and the build up of fuzz had doubled. Seance the only thing that had changed was the hose I quickly removed it and replaced it with the old hose which I had to do allot of rearranging to do and did a 60% water change. as of yesterday I don't really notice the fuzz growing ( by the way the fuzz is more like fiber I tried to pull some off of a leave and the leaf tore instead so it is very tough ) the Discus still stay at the top by the spray bars and I don't know what to do. Has anyone every heard of this kind of thing or if you have any ideas as to what it is and what I can do next to help my Discus please please let me know. Thanks :headshake2:

Hicklarity

AC Members
Apr 21, 2015
State College, PA
Real Name
Alex
Sounds like Black Hair algae but my fix to it was using Flourish Excel, probably not the best idea if you're using CO2.

Forgive my lack of solution but I figured a bump to thread would be better than nothing.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome aboard.

What size tank? What type of lighting and what are the lighting specs? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
What type of hose did you buy at the hardware store? It is important to make sure you are using potable hose for you tank. That means it has to be safe for drinking water that people would drink. Garden hose, for example is not potable hose, but clear vinyl hose is. You were wise to go back to the old hose I think.
Not sure if that is the problem, but just think you should check on it.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
That's ok, right now I'm not using CO2 because for some reason there seems to be a lack of Oxygen I could probably give Flourish Excel a try thanks.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
100 gal. tank, 48" Current Satellite plus pro full spectrum with plenty of watts per gallon, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 weird stuff I figure if it was a external growth like alga is but you can't wipe or pull it off.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
As the hose from the hardware store was the only thing new to the tank just a day before this problem I have to think that very well could be the case now I'm left with whether or not to get rid of all of the plants in my tank and that's quite a few and no place to put them temporarily also only live objects have this fuzz except one tall sword. :huh:

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
I have determined after a lot of reading and watching YouTube video that this is Black Hair/Black Beard algae and found that it is most likely do to the sudden removal of CO2 as I never hooked it back up after trying to connect the Reactor. Thank you Hicklarity for this info it gave me what I needed to search and find out what this is and how to treat it and the use of Flourish Excel is basically the only thing to use is the Flourish Excel and can only rid the tank of this using a CO2 liquid and it can be used simultaneously with CO2 injection. I hope others that my have this problem will be able to find and read this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store