fish name dictionary

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Anybody know a good website that has a fish name dictionary in multiple languages? What I would like is something where I can search for the english or scientific name of a fish and I get an entry for the scientific name and multiple languages (especially english and german) of that fish. A bonus if the (sub)family is also in multiple languages.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The Latin name should be your best bet for identification. Not all fish have a common name and common names are often interchangeable between species. Once you have that, you will just need to plug it into Google translate or similar to read about the species in your preferred language.

Does that answer your question?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. You've got to stick to the Latin name for true identification. I commend those in the hobby that can recite the Latin names of fish and plants so easily.. and I took 2yrs of Latin in high-school. LOL!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Keep in mind that the scientific name will be the same in all languages. Scientific names are not technically "Latin" names since they are generally based on the language the describer chooses and can include proper names that do not have Latin roots.

For example: Corydoras davidsandsi- Corydoras has a traditional latin root. But davidsandsi is a proper name root named for David Sands (an Englishman who authored Catfishes of the world).

Dwarf Chain Botia (Ambastaia sidthimunki) (Kottelat 2012) has a Latin root genus now. but the previous name was Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (Kottelat 2004) which was a Japanese root.

In many ways scientific nomenclature is a mishmash of every language in the world. Just makes it more complicated to learn.

And that is your useless fact for the day!

Andy

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Fishbase.org

All the interface languages you wanted and then some, tied to the the scientific names. Takes a bit to figure out how to navigate because your surest way to a specific fish is by the scientific name, but it is the most complete listing of fish I know of.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Keep in mind that the scientific name will be the same in all languages. Scientific names are not technically "Latin" names since they are generally based on the language the describer chooses and can include proper names that do not have Latin roots.

For example: Corydoras davidsandsi- Corydoras has a traditional latin root. But davidsandsi is a proper name root named for David Sands (an Englishman who authored Catfishes of the world).

Dwarf Chain Botia (Ambastaia sidthimunki) (Kottelat 2012) has a Latin root genus now. but the previous name was Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (Kottelat 2004) which was a Japanese root.

In many ways scientific nomenclature is a mishmash of every language in the world. Just makes it more complicated to learn.

And that is your useless fact for the day!

Andy
Compound that with the fact that the taxonomists have to periodically justify their existences and change all the names in a genus because they found a new marker on a strand of DNA...or it was Monday.

Mark

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
So basically in a word: No. Meaning there is no single one place to go to browse all animals or just fish and have it spit out common names for a certain language. That is too bad, makes it hard to research and a chore. Using google and google translate is not always accurate. If you are relying on Wikipedia you are also screwed since they only accept pages out of popularity, and no real scientific sources.

Thank you for the help, if I find some master browseable list (guess even only the scientific names would do) I will post a link.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
So basically in a word: No. Meaning there is no single one place to go to browse all animals or just fish and have it spit out common names for a certain language. That is too bad, makes it hard to research and a chore. Using google and google translate is not always accurate. If you are relying on Wikipedia you are also screwed since they only accept pages out of popularity, and no real scientific sources.

Thank you for the help, if I find some master browseable list (guess even only the scientific names would do) I will post a link.
Fishbase.org

All the interface languages you wanted and then some, tied to the the scientific names. Takes a bit to figure out how to navigate because your surest way to a specific fish is by the scientific name, but it is the most complete listing of fish I know of.
Fishbase does almost exactly what you're asking for...

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Fishbase.org

This works. Even though it is mostly english based from what I tested out. The few times I found an article in a different language it wasn't as complete as the english version. For my purpose of mainly going english to german it is doable through the "common names" part in the bottom. Unfortunately changing the interface language does not change the article even if there is a different language version available.

I apologize for not recognizing the best answer to my question for what it was at the time, thank you qwe123 for pointing it out to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store