PLANTED! And Dr. Foster and Smith troubles?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hicklarity

AC Members
Apr 21, 2015
State College, PA
Real Name
Alex
Got my 29 gallon planted!

Back to front on the left goes Ludwigia glandulosa, then rotala nanjenshan, scattered dwarf hairgrass and anubias nana.

In the middle rear there is amazon sword (hoping they bush out well and become a real center piece).

Towards the right is the dwarf Sagittaria and some struggling pygmy chain sword. I'm hoping the chain sword takes off and fills out one of those little planters that I made now that I have most of my supplements and steady lighting. (I made those "planters" by breaking some terracotta pots and applying quick-set cement to the exterior for a rocky look. They've kind of been flooded by the eco-complete so they aren't so much planters anymore but I like how the extra structure looks.)

Oh and I bought bamboo. :grinyes: Honestly just curious to see if it will grow and if it does, see what a plant growing out of the tank will look like.

Lighting: 30" Finnex Ray2 LED on a timer from about 9am to 12am... As a college student it helps as a wake up call.
Although I keep it on constantly, for night time I have a 12", 12 LED airstone that I just keep out of the water because I read they weren't always completely sealed (not using the airstone anyway). I use the purple setting (Blue and Red) because I read that the wavelength from blue LED's helps promote bushy growth while the wavelength from the red promotes seeding and reproduction. Not much light coming from it but everything helps I suppose.

I'm currently using Flourish products. Nitrogen (cautiously, I always test for nitrates before adding), Excel, and Trace.
Soon I will have Iron, Phosphorous, and Potassium to add to my repertuar.

I say soon because I recently purchased my plant supplements from Dr. Foster and Smith. I got home from classes and work very excited to open my package today only to find that 8 out of the total of 17 products I ordered had actually been shipped in the box. The freebie items that were supposed to be included with the purchase of certain products were also missing. The personnel were very helpful when I called to notify them of the mishap and I should be getting the rest of my products very soon, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with Dr. Foster and Smith? I ordered the plants from their LiveAquaria site and they came out GREAT! Nice and full and almost a dozen stems plants for a single order, everything included as well :grinyes:. Just wondering though because if it is a regular thing, I'll start taking advantage of my Amazon Prime for my fish supplies.

I've had planted tanks before, but after a long hiatus, I'm excited to get back to it.
Thanks for reading,
Alex

PS: Bamboo is mostly out of the first picture but it's in the back right corner.

20150424_193243.jpg 20150424_193225.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks nice!

An amazon sword (and it's root system) will eventually take over the whole 29g footprint.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Thanks!

Originally I'm from Philadelphia and I have to say, since the move I've had lots of trouble finding a good LFS.
I too moved but from the other end of the state (near Pittsburgh) and even in some of the bigger metro areas (Williamsport, Harrisburg, etc.) in central PA unfortunately, there's really not much

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have not had any probs with Drs. F and S. So far so good. I did not have good luck with ludwigia glandulosa. I did not get it from them, but it fell apart pretty much immediately after I got it, so it was tossed.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
hey, I love the tank man. good job. I have ordered from drfosterandmsmith myself a few times, never a problem. I would just say its an isolated case.

Reactions: Zardra77
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store