Ocean rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Ok guys I wanted to share something with you. The Ph of my tank was a little low due to bog wood and Co2 injections so I decided to get it a little higher but hate using chemicals where a natural method can be used.

I went to my LFS after doing some research and set out to find some lovely lime stone or ocean rock (both are claimed to help raise Ph) but the stone they had would have taken up to much aquarium space so instead I bought a nice 2kg bag of "break offs" all the stone that broke off while being transported. I made a lovely cave as you can see below.

20150425_190525.jpg20150425_190528.jpg

There is nothing holding this together at the moment, I plan to grow java moss on it and over time as it fills in all the nuks and cranny and attaches firmly I hope it will help hold things together.

So, what do you think of this little project?

Also on a side note, I noted some strange behaviour from my SAE's all 3 of them were attacking this new stone as if there was some algae on there (which there wasn't) they are still doing this now after an hour :/ seems strange to me.

20150425_190525.jpg 20150425_190528.jpg

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've never used limestone or anything to buffer ph except for aragonite. I would monitor the ph and your fish, but it sounds like the SAEs are just checking out the rock.

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
I've never used limestone or anything to buffer ph except for aragonite. I would monitor the ph and your fish, but it sounds like the SAEs are just checking out the rock.
the fish so far seem very happy, even had a guppy swim in the cave and stay there for a while. the fish seem a little more active (mostly due to the addition of new fish) and strangely a plant I have next to the cave really seems to have had a lot of growth since putting them in, maybe a coincidence. Ph has gone up a tiny bit over night, but i have a "permanent" electrical monitor set to buzz when my ph gets above 7.5 and below 6.5

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, I finally added some moss to the cave, I put a small piece on top and I am just going to let it attach, grow and spread if it doesn't want to spread I will just add more *** I have a ball of the stuff to grow and my plan is to grow and sell, maybe to the aquarium as they never seem to have it lol, so I have plenty to work with just want to try letting the natural growth do the job and keep it trimmed. Picture to follow

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, here are the pictures so far

This one is of the cave with some moss
20150504_205018.jpg
This one is the moss ball I have left over with the cave in the background
20150504_205022.jpg
The fish really love the moss ball, I keep seeing them playing with it, more than anything the SAE's love it and they play with the moss on the cave. they really love the cave as a hole and I have noticed that my fish are a lot more healthy since the addition of the ocean rock cave.

20150504_205018.jpg 20150504_205022.jpg

Last edited:

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, so the java moss has been attached for 4 days now and I already see plenty of new growth and it is attaching nicely to the rock, obviously as it grow upwards it is attaching at higher pieces of rock first but there is a much slower growth heading down the rocks and staying well attached. This is starting to come along really well and was a project worth doing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store