S?sswassertang!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Redfokker

AC Members
Apr 4, 2015
Albany, Oregon
Real Name
Mike Dicianna
Süsswassertang!

Süsswassertang! I attached some tufts of this plant to some driftwood with gel super glue. First time I've used this method and it seems to work well. Will have to see if there is any die off at the attachment points. I got a small golf ball sized portion off of Ebay last week, and am trying it out. If it does well, I'll transfer some to the other tanks. Research online reveals that Süsswassertang means freshwater seaweed in German. The latin name is Lomariopsis lineata.

Susswassertang Rummy Nose 1000x.jpg Susswassertang detail 3.jpg

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Awesome, Mike. The plant is so new that it doesn't even have an english common name yet. Enjoy your Süßwassertang. Does it look anything like other ferns you got?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I had something similar looking 10 years ago that was going by the name of Pelia, or Monosolenium tenerum. This one is thought to be a true liverwort and is somewhat rare in the area it is from.

This one, if it isn't confused with the other, is a fern gametophyte. I've seen the name of Round Pelia used to differentiate this one from the liverwort.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
I had Süßwassertang in one of my aquariums a while back. Mine got to be a decent sized mound. Keep an eye on it, I imagine over time it might break off from getting too big. Then pieces of it float around your aquarium. Nice placement though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store