thoughts on adding more tetra safe start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I've used dr tim's one and only in the past with success to speed fishless cycles but have always had to order it online. for the fishless cycle in my 40g this time around I decided to try tetra safe start and it appears to be doing a pretty good job.

I used the 8.45oz bottle (for up to 100g) and added last wednesday night. I put ammonia up around 4ppm, checked the tank again today and ammonia is around 2ppm and nitrite is at .5ppm. so, clearing a fairly robust amount of ammonia after only 4 or so days.

Out of curiosity, how much of an impact do you all think another bottle would have, either the 3.38oz (up to 40g) or another 8.45oz bottle? this is half curiosity and half impatience.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
The impact of another bottle would be mostly in your wallet, imo. You have to give the bacteria time to colonize and multiply. The bacteria in a bottle don't do an instant cycle, they only speed the process along - some faster than others.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are the tanks in your signature up and running? If so, all you need to do is transfer over some filtration or bio media from one of those tanks, to your new tank and you've got an instantly cycled tank. Verified by regular water parameter testing of course.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
no, those are all long gone, had to get rid of them when I went to college

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
The only way I start tanks is with established filter media/substrate from another tank...I don't trust miracle starters :(

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
well, you should trust this stuff!!!

my tank is now clearing ammonia after 5 days. I expect a full cycle by thursday or friday, which is super exciting!

I don't ever plan to do a "pure" fishless cycle ever again. waiting 3+ weeks (how long it took me to do a fishless cycle last time) is just not worth it for me. this stuff is easy to find and not too expensive. I'd even be comfortable doing a fish-in cycle using this; actually I almost did but the guy at my favorite LFS talked me out of it. he echoed all the reasons why I was hesitant to do a fish-in cycle and convinced me. plus I wasnt sure I wanted to keep hardy cycle fish in my final stocking.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
I used tetra safe start once. the cycle time seemed to be really cut down to just a few days lol. I added fish and wham, the aquarium was up and running no problem lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store