stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower82

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
A few months ago I had an outbreak of anchor worm and it killed 3 of my white cloud minnows, a betta fish and one platy.
So now after treating the tank for a month I feel confident to start adding a few new fish.
The tank is a 20 gallon high and the stock right now is:
2 female platies
2 white cloud minnows
1 bristle nose pleco
I know the pleco may need a bigger tank later on I plan on moving him to my 29 gallon if he out grows the 20 gallon.
Also I know I should get more white cloud minnows but i haven't been able to find any at my local pet store.
Would the white cloud minnows school with some tetras?
Right now I'm thinking of getting a betta fish, probably 4 or 5 tetras, and maybe another platy.
What tetras would you consider hardy?
The only tetras I have kept are glolight tetras and harlequin rasboras.
So i'd like to try keeping a new schooling fish.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have never kept minnows, but from what I have read on the forum, they seem to prefer cooler temperature water than tetras, bettas and other tropical fish. If I am wrong on that, there are plenty of people here who know better than I do. You can easily check on google to find out. As I learn more about this hobby, I see that it is important to keep fish who are all similar in needs in one tank. If you have room, you could have a cool water tank and a more tropical tank too.

Flower82

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
i've had the temp at about 74 degrees for months and haven't had any problems as of yet.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I can only tell you that the white clouds will not school with the tetras, at least my white clouds don't school at all with my black neon tetras. It might be different when either one or both fish don't have enough members to form a school of their own. I have 15 white clouds and 15+ black neon tetras in my 180G - the white clouds always stay together just above where the tetras occupy the tank. In smaller tanks ith fewer fish the dynamics might be different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store