One Shrimp Growing Huge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
A couple of months ago I bought about 10 shrimp. They were just called algae eating shrimp at the LFS, but I think they are amanos. One of them has grown to a huge size, while the rest have stayed at about an inch. This guy is closing in on 3 inches. I am hoping he is strictly a vegetarian since there are some pretty small fish in that tank. Has anyone ever heard of an amano growing to that size, or could this be some other type that got mixed in? Originally he had the same markings as all the others, and still looks similar, but much much larger.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Well that makes me feel better. He does steal algae wafers from the corys, but I give enough for both. Just glad to hear he won't be gobbling my CPDs.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Forgot to ask, do you think I should move him over to my larger tank? He is in a 20g. Should I shift him to the bigger tank. I guess I should, but wait to see what you all say.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Ok, I moved the big one to my 75g this afternoon. He seems very upset and disoriented. Did not eat the food that I put in for him. it is the same food he was getting in the small tank. I guess it will just take some time for him to adjust.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I saw some for sale today that were about 2 inch or 3 inch, so I would not be surprised that that one is that big.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Well that was a big mistake. I moved that shrimp last night, and this morning 2 of my young angelfish were dead! Their eyes were missing and their tails nearly gone. Yesterday they were perfectly healthy. That shrimp is now in the QT, and is going back to the LFS tomorrow. I feel terrible.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Sorry, I do not have a picture, but he looked exactly like the others until he started to grow and grow. I suppose it is possible that he is some other type of shrimp, but I have read that the amanos can grow that large.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store