Will this mix of fish work in a 500 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaptainS

AC Members
Mar 13, 2015
Im thinking of getting a 500 gallon aquarium from craigslist and I would like to have this mix of fish in the 500 gallon aquarium heres the mix. Adult tiger oscar, adult ompok bimaculatus or if an ompok is to small and might get eaten how about a adult brown bullhead catfish would that be a good replecament for an ompok catfish, adult giant bumblebee catfish bufonius, and a adult true giant gourami. Do you guys think that mix will is a good mix or is it not enough space and would it work out?

Last edited:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
With monster fish comes monster responsibility. What are the dimensions of your 500g? If it's more of a box-type tank it could work. However, I have 0 experience with monster fish, but I understand that longer, deeper tanks with more turning room are preferred.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You might want to research the Giant G.....a fish that lives 20 years and can easily hit 26-30 inches even in a home tank, might be the only fish you can have in that sized tank......

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I too would skip the giant gourami. I've seen pics of them the size of garbage can lids. About as attractive too.

CaptainS

AC Members
Mar 13, 2015
I am actually just talked to some other people and they said I need a 900 gallon aquarium thats at least 10 feet long I know its alot of money and responsibility but its my dream tank and fish but when I do get that size tank what catfish would be better a brown bullhead catfish or a vulture catfish? Also do you guys think a tiger oscar,giant bumblebee catfish, ompok bimaculatus, and ornate pimelodus work in a 300-320 gallon aquarium thats the aquarium I will probably start with.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
All things being equal I would pick the vulture cat - looks nicer, imo. But then the bullhead might be easier to get to eat a non-carnivore diet. Some keep vultures that show no agression, but that is always a risk, especially when you try to well stock (a bit overstocked, imo) a 300 gal tank. If you go with bullhead, I would opt for the yellow for its slightly smaller size. It will still grow into a big monster, which you want. Or did you mean the vulture or bullhead for the bigger tank?

CaptainS

AC Members
Mar 13, 2015
I meant keeping the vulture and brown bullhead in the bigger tank.

Last edited:

CaptainS

AC Members
Mar 13, 2015
Also I discovered this species of catfish that seriously fish said could get along with giant gouramis its called a wide head catfish/clarotes laticeps and I was wondering if I could keep a giant gourami and wide head catfish in a 900-1000 gallon aquarium do you think that would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store