Help with lighting a 200gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
So I'm switching from a reef tank to a planted tank. I'm selling off what I won't be needing and ordering what I do need. I plan on it being a low maint. planted tank. Tank is 60x36x24deep. Right now it has 250w metal halides and I want to use LEDs for the new setup. Ideally I want something with its own controller that is dimable so I can adjust if I decide to go with CO2 and high light down the road. Any suggestions?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Once you decide to switch to CO2 and high light the tank won't be low maintenance any more. It will be hard enough to get anything high light at 24 inches deep - let alone in the 3 feet width. I would try to go with low to med light with one strip (or rather two 30" or 36" strips) initially, and then upgrade down the road by doubling the lightstrips. Getting to high light with your tank is going to be expensive either way - paying for it upfront just in case might waste a lot of money. There is more options with chosing lights without controller that are not bright enough for high light until you add more, IMO.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
I have my old CO2 regulator from a few years ago and I have a doser from the reef setup so the bulk of the cost going to highlight wouldn't apply in this case. I was looking at the finnex LEDs, the planted + and the monster. I could run 3-4 of the 48" units and it would leave 6" on each side, this would help keep the algae on the glass to a minimum so it's not a bad idea. I've run 48" T5 on a 60" tank before so I have an idea of what it'll look like. I also have a hydra52 from the reef that I never hooked up that I could use but would rather not as they are pretty expensive and I would need a few. One thing holding me back from the finnex lights is the depth of my tank. most of the guys running them have them on smaller tanks that don't need the same penetration that I do.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
If you can wait for the planted+ 24/7 then you could have them dimmable and with their own controller. Not sure though if the remote will work when using multiple lights. With expense on high light I didn't even mean the CO2 setup, but the lights alone (multiple cheaper ones still add up). Using just 48" strips would work as well - I only got one 48" strip on my 6 foot 180. The falloff on the sides is not for everybody and it limits you on where to put the more light demanding plants (I personally like the falloff). Granted, that tank was not initially planned to support plants and I am not sure if there is enough light with the Fluval 48" ultra bright. The plants I stuck in so far appear to be growing bigger and getting more roots, so I don't really have an excuse to add more light.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
I'm sending an email to finnex with a few questions, the planted+ 24/7 may be exactly what I'm looking for.

As far as setting up the CO2 now I'd rather not. The tank is in an office so minimal maint. would be nice. I don't want to have to cut back the plants every week if I can avoid it.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
That Beamswork light is cool - didn't know they made any (affordable) 5 foot LEDs. Any chance there might be 6 foot LEDs coming? Turns out every time I am at my LFS I end up picking up a plant or two. If I keep adding plants I might need to upgrade my light sometime.
They actually have more 6ft lamp choices than 5 ft ones

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I'm sending an email to finnex with a few questions, the planted+ 24/7 may be exactly what I'm looking for.

As far as setting up the CO2 now I'd rather not. The tank is in an office so minimal maint. would be nice. I don't want to have to cut back the plants every week if I can avoid it.
If you go all rosette options (swords, vals, sag, crypts, bylxa, etc.) versus stem plants, that would be a non-issue

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Thank you for mentioning that, I'll def. keep it in mind when ordering the plants. If only someone would buy my corals I could take the tank down this week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store