Need advice on UV sterilizers for Algae Bloom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
In a hurry, I ordered 2 9v submersibles from amazon last week, went to check my delivery status today and they are still sitting in my cart, not actually ordered. I thought I could do better this time with some advice from you all if you you don't mind.

I have a 55 gal. Recently cycled in ~~Feb 2015.

I was going to cycle old school with some danios, but dear husband surprised me and brought home "aquastart" with the danios, so I used that too. Cycled faster than I expected.

Last weekend my lil one accidently put baby shampoo in the tank. Oopsy Daisy LOL.

I have done a few massive water changes, but algae bloom is now out of control, or pea soup.

Can anyone offer the kind or size of sterilzer for algae bloom? I have not used these in the past. I have a blue canister from a pet store for filtration, "cascade", so inline would work too, though I have 1/2 mind to adapt it to an undergravel as that's what I know best.

Thanks for any input!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Why don't you go lights off for a couple days, is this a new set up?
Provide more info, whats in the tank, water parameters, lighting ...
I do not think you will need the UV filter once everything settles down.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Thanks!

Lights have been off since a week ago friday. Its an older, plain tank, 24x 48, two flourescent strip lights. Epoxy gravel on the bottom. Canister filter, intake and output over the top. I cycled it in Feb 2015.

4 danios. I tested day before yesterday, nitrite, ammonia and nitrate were 0 Ph was 7.8

Not sure why, but it seems to be coming back faster after water changes rather diluting it. Any ideas?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd move the fish to some fresh dechlor'd water and drain the tank and clean it... what kind of shampoo specifically?

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Hi!

It was johnsons and johnsons tearless baby wash and shampoo, from the looks at the bottle I would guess she got atleast a couple tablespoons in there.

1.5 weeks ago the night it happened I did a full cleaning, hydrocleaned the gravel, rinsed the filter media in the canister, and a 90% water change, thats the best I could think to do. I did some research tonight. The one thing that caught my eye was O2 and agitation.

I forgot I took the air stone bar out (long tube attached to air pump) while hydrocleaning, it has sat on the shelf next to the aq, out of the water, for 1.5 weeks.

I replaced it tonight, so I have some agitation and oxygenation. Not working correctly, but they have large bubbles tonight and I can easily order a new air bar.

I am getting back into fish after 10 years, things are different now. Someone mentioned "new tank sydrome" to me. All my water parameters were in order (LOL I had to google what new tank syndrome meant) so I am defaulting to the baby shampoo. My tap water is not the best, but I heard its pretty good in the big picture.

I ordered this from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGCWYYI...426f7_1941_5316_1546198962_7149_69.35.184.186

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store