Killer Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I decided to start a new thread with this info, because the previous thread about one shrimp growing huge may not be looked at again. I mentioned that one of my amano shrimp became very large; over two inches in length. Yesterday I took him out of the 20g, and moved him over to the 75g, where I thought he would be more comfortable.
This morning two of my young angelfish were dead. Their eyes were missing and their tails were mostly gone. I didn't look very closely after that.
The shrimp is now in the QT, and I will bring him back to the LFS tomorrow. My little angels were only about dime size, and with their long fins, I guess they were an easy grab for him. They were perfectly healthy yesterday.
Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Sounds like it could have been a macrobrachium shrimp. They are predatory and will take whatever they can grab. Some species can get to over 12 inches long. I know some people keep them alone in a tank as an unusual pet.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
After doing a little more research, I think you are correct. It must be a macrobrachium shrimp. Somehow it must have gotten mixed up with the amanos. It looked just the same when purchased, but then grew much larger than the others. I definitely don't want a predator in any of my tanks.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
So the killer shrimp went back to the LFS today and my guy there had never heard of macrobrachium shrimp, but he was very fascinated. I hope he will find someone who wants a creature like that, but that would not be me. I got 2 new angels to replace the lost ones and my cardinal tetras, which he has been quarantining for me. They are all looking beautiful.
This was a pretty sad story, but when you buy a bunch of small shrimp in a small town petshop, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store