Lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Medic911

AC Members
May 3, 2015
I have a 72" tank and needing ideas on good lights! Iv been looking in the LED but not sure what's the best and brightest! Any ideas?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I really like the LEDs, but are you trying to grow plants or just see your fish? That could make a difference. If you are growing live plants, will it be a low tech or high tech tank. That also makes a difference. I am not all that experienced, but just from joining this forum, I have learned that there is a lot to consider when purchasing lights.

Medic911

AC Members
May 3, 2015
Just to see my fish only plant I might put in is moss but other than that no plants and what's a high tech tank?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I have a 72" tank and needing ideas on good lights! Iv been looking in the LED but not sure what's the best and brightest! Any ideas?
That depends on what you are trying to put in it. You put the brightest light in you will also put in a complete CO2 system in to fight the algae. If you don't plan on high light plants, then a bright light is a real waste of money.

For fish only you might want to consider a 48" strip that has moonlights in it for night time watching.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I personally use Fluval 48" ultra bright on my 6 foot 180gal. Very happy with it - the moonlight is awesome. You can see water ripples in the light. The only downside is that the light cannot be on a timer - it has a 3-way switch - and you have to manually switch from daylight to moonlight. There is pictures of the tank in my 180g album with both the daylight and moonlight (go to my member page and yau will find it). There is more expensive and cheaper lights. If I ever plan to upgrade my lighting - might need to since I keep adding plants all the time - I would probably add a 6 foot Beamswork fixture. But plants are doing good so far, so no need yet to upgrade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store