How well would a Desert Goby work in a community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
I saw them for sale, and I have a 55 gallon with various mollies, a betta sorority, an Apisto, an Angel, Rainbowfish, Cherry barbs and Dojo Loaches. Is there any danger of them being aggressive to anyone?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
One of our local aquarists has them in a community setup in her 40 gal and has never expressed anything negative regarding aggression. Hers have bred several times. They are extreme diggers though.

Mark

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Mark, thank you for your reply. By extreme diggers, do you mean they dig up the entire tank, or just a hole here and there? I could handle that, but not "crater" everywhere that I'd constantly have to fill in.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Her pair dug beneath a large"ish" rock for their territory. They didn't have pits everywhere but the one they dug was all the way to the bottom glass.

Mark

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Thank you. Still not sure if I want to take the plunge. I saw a goby at Petsmart yesterday. I remember reading "Goby" on the tag, but can't remember which goby it was. This thing was about 5-6 inches long though. I didn't think the Desert ones got that long. It was blueish on it's body too. Very interesting fish, but I'm wondering if it might have been of a type that gets VERY big.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Hmmm...might have been a dragon goby, which I wouldn't recommend.

Mark

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
I'm curious too. I did some research and I found out they can survive a wide range of temperatures, fluctuations ad gulp air if they need to (haven't found any info on them having a labyrinth though). What worries me is that apparently males can be aggressive during breeding season and the gobies are apparently territorial. However, they might be peaceful enough? I'm planning on starting a sorority in a 150L and I saw the western desert gobies at the lfs, they're so cute and interesting bottom dwellers so maybe it would work if there's enough caves....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store