stocking a 40g breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I already know that the stock starts like this
6 bronze cories
6 juli cories.
The rest of the stock is unknown. Anybody got any ideas? I am VERY open minded to new ideas, so just give me some ideas please. I am very excited to start planning this tank. I am also planning to get 2 aquaclear 50 with some kind of screen on the intake tune....

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Very open minded? Make it a species tank. Since you already started with them make it cories. Add some green, some albino, some peppered, and the spotted ones. Inshead of making them work as cleanup crew, it will be their tank. :-D

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I like where you were going but I don't think that this is a good size tank to make it a cory tank. Do you have any other ideas?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Perfect size for a species tank. Do the two cory species then a big shoaler (fish that really stick together).

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Well I actually was hoping for something that involved a few different species. Do you have any other ideas that involved a few open water species?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
With the help of a few other forums that I am currently on I have put together a list that seems alright so far( I have not researched them yet but plan to once I get back form school tomorrow).
6 bronze cories
6 juli cories
8-12 female bettas
1 krib.
Do yall think that they will get along just fine? The last thing I would want to do is to put 2 species that won't get along in the same tank.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Probably right about the 40 being too tall for only cories.

A species tank is something different though - in a good way, not in a weird way.

How about puffers? Well, yeah, you would have to lose the cories as they would turn into feeder fish, but. I mean, think about it. Puffers got great personality and will form a strong bond to you.

It just so happens that I have such a species tank myself. And, surprise surprise, it has puffers in it. A 29 gal with Mickie and Minnie - they are both F8 puffers. Just those two little puffers, and nothing else fish wise. They don't even make the tank look empty.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
With the help of a few other forums that I am currently on I have put together a list that seems alright so far( I have not researched them yet but plan to once I get back form school tomorrow).
6 bronze cories
6 juli cories
8-12 female bettas
1 krib.
Do yall think that they will get along just fine? The last thing I would want to do is to put 2 species that won't get along in the same tank.
The bettas and cories will get along. The bettas themselves is probably not a good idea in such a big number, unless you can buy them all at once and they been in the same tank together. If they get along and don't have to fight over hierarchies then they can work out in the 40, imo. If they need to establish hierachie, however, those fights can turn really nasty. Plus with female bettas there is a small chance that a particular group will never get along.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
The stock has been tweaked and finalized on one of my other fourms

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
The stock has been tweaked and finalized on one of my other fourms
Ah, the more helpful forums. I see how that works. There really is no benefit to you to actually post the finalized list as you already decided on it and no more 2nd opinion needed. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store