dwarf puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefman

AC Members
May 6, 2015
there is something wrong with my dwarf puffer. I came home from work today and he seems extra fat on his lower end and is not eating. I don't know what is wrong. I did a 20 % water change with a quick start this morning and he seemed fine. he is in a 40 g breeder with a few different tetras and other fish. He has seemed fine until now but now I'm not sure. can someone please help. The ph and nitrates are normal.

20150506_224647.jpg 20150506_224649.jpg

chefman

AC Members
May 6, 2015
I've had the dp for almost 3 weeks but thats not the only tetra that looks like its been nipped, that von rio and two of my serpae tetras and one of my cardinal tetras has the same thats why i thought it might be fin rot. the dp normally keeps to himself.

chefman

AC Members
May 6, 2015
i also just added a new piece of drift wood and plants last week i don't know if that could be the cause

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Extra fat on his lower end? You mean his belly? After eating the belly should be really nice and fat. Are you sure he didn't find something in the tank to eat? Maybe not a fish, but hitchhiker snails that came in with the plants. What do you feed him and how do you know he is not eating any more? You need to make sure he eats what you give him, otherwise he might find something else to eat. Puffers in a community tank is always a risk as they are by nature opportunistic predators. Fish too big to swallow? That is why puffers got teeth - doesn't really matter to the puffer if the fish they nibble on is still alive or not.

chefman

AC Members
May 6, 2015
He seems almost bloated on his lower end, I have been feeding him blood worms with the occasional snail. Normally i watch him eat a few of the bloodworms or the snail when i put them in the tank he is still very small and i have read the dwarf puffers do not really grow teeth.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Dwarf puffers most certainly grow teeth, what you probably read is that you may never have to worry about trimming their teeth. Their "beak" consists of 4 teeth. If you feed them properly you won't have to worry about the teeth growing too much - they will grind them down on snail shells or even on sand if you got sand.

chefman

AC Members
May 6, 2015
okay thank you very much! what do you think is wrong with him though? normally when he heats he doesn't get that bloated on the lower end and he seemed to be swimming slower and not interacting when i came to the tank (which he does quite frequently)

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Still a mystery though with the bloat. Is it where normally his belly sticks out after eating just bigger, or a different place? After my puffers eat (granted, they are not dwarf puffers, but F8 puffers) I can tell by looking if they ate or not. Especially when one of them ate more than his share. One will have a little sticking out belly (yep, ate) and then looking at the other: :eek: O.M.G. did you just swallow a melon? How do you even swim like that?

But with your puffer it has to be something else - by the time you feed again the pot-belly should have completely disappeared. I feed mine twice a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store