Friends tank problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
i have passed on my old 10g tank to a friend. he has 3 danios 2 corys (i think sterbi) 2 large platies and 6 fry and 4 neons and 3 shrimp.

i set the tank up and cycled it with my danios. i then advised him on what fish are best. i said no to corys unless he got more, but he wanted 2.

the problem is now, he has lost 1 danio, 1 neon 2 platies, 1 dwarf gourami and 5 shrimp in a month or so.
the platie fry are now looking a bit less active and the neons just 'stand' around not active like mine.
i've offered to take some fish off him for their sake, but he wants to keep them.

the water is not very good, he has very high nitrate and nitrites have some reading not sure what, because like me he has the water tested in local store and they have just said both to high.

anyway has the lose of fish been down to just water problems, or could their be other problems? no sign of disease

what can be done to sort out the water?

should i take some fish off him? and can i fit anymore in my tank? see below.
i've mentioned to him to either up grade (then i can have tank back for betta:p ) or to tank the platie fry and danios and corys back to shop. and keep the neons and platies. ok?

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
You should have no nitrites in an established tank and very high nitrates is not the best either. You are on the right track by reducing stocking levels. Start doing more frequent partial water changes right away to bring the water quality back in shape. 10-20 % a day would not be too much until you get the water in better shape.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You may have cycled the tank with some danios but then it would only have the bacterial load to take care of a few danios. The tank was then stuffed with far too many fish for a 10 gallon. The water started a new cycle and this has pretty much lead to the death of the fish. Water changes are needed right away to keep these fish alive. Every day until the nitrites are zero and ammonia. Another problem is that most of these fish are already damaged due to the high levels of ammonia and nitrite they were exposed to and even with lots of fresh water will most likely not live a very long life.

But please add no more fish to this tank. My 10 gallon has 3 cories and 5 white cloud minnows and I often think it is overstocked.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
Thanks.

i've told him to do 3rd water change for next couple days. guy at store said don't feed untill monday either thats 5 days.

could i fit any of his fish or shrimp in mine so that hes not losing them totally, becasue he doesn't really want to take them back.

my tank 35g tall
4 gourami
11 rasbora
14 neons
5 cory juilli
clown pl*co
2 young swordtails

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Your tank is pretty full and I would hate to see it get overstocked and start to decline. Obviously the best thing would be for him to get a 20 gallon tank or larger. If you really needed to take any of his fish I would suggest the neons. they are quite fragile fish and the cycling would really be hurting them. Plus they are the smallest and would have the least impact on your tank.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I wouldn't take any of his fish. You're pretty well stocked like TKOS said.

You may be able to help him by offering some of your filter media. that will add more bacteria to his tank which may be able to help with his high nitrite levels.

For the love of Pete, get a test kit! :) Seriously, its not a ton of money and you will use it all the time. when your levels are high like that you really want to be testing daily and you want to know numbers not just some chucklehead at the pet shop telling you "Its like, really high."

My guess would be that his fish are dying due to elevated nitrite levels rather than elevated nitrate levels. Nitrite is far more poisonous in lower levels. Nitrates can get a lot higher before they really get lethal. In any event, water changes, water changes, water changes.

Tom

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
i do have a test kit for my pond and which i use for testing my tank, i have it double checked at the store if i think it is to high. And the guy who does it does know what hes on about, which is strange for a aqautic store i know:laugh: :D

do you think my tank is to stocked, or should i be ok?:confused:

i'm now looking in local paper for a 20+gallon tank to see how much cot for him to upgrade.

thanks again everyone.:)

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Okay I thought you said you didn't have a kit. Try to convince your friend to get at least the ammonia and nitrite tests for now if not the whole kit. He really needs to monitor his tank right now.

Personally, I think your tank is over stocked. However, that's just my personal preference. I think as long as you keep the tank well filtered you'll make out okay but I certainly wouldn't add more.

Keep in mind that even if he goes to a 20g tank (which he should) it won't change the amount of bacteria in the tank. If anything that will decrease. Initially he will still have the same problems. His immediate issue is the nitrite levels not space.

Tom

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
update

the tank has now has a water change 25% for the last 3 days and the fish haven't been feed as instructed by the LFS. no real change to values still high nitrates 20+ with a low nitrie reading 5ppm
had phone call today, told that one of the platy fry had died, one of its eyes was swollen ans sticking out,
pop eye?

can this have been caused by the water problem, or changes?

still no luck with getting them to sell some fish ans srill can't get cheap enough tank to get them to scale up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store